New Raptor SD 48 coming today

rpxr400

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all - long time lurker here. I've been researching ZTs until I'm blue in the face. Hustler was at the top of my list mostly because they have a lower COG -we have a septic sand mound, and riding the side of it feels sketchy when on the Craftsman 46 rider (non ZT). So, the SD MSRP was more than what I wanted to spend, and based on reviews here and Youtube, I'm sure the Raptor would have been fine for my needs (1 acre with about 10 trees and mulch beds). Seems there are a number of guys using the base Raptor commercially and generally very happy with them. The other draw for the SD was that I feel the 48 is perfectly sized for my application. I think the 52 or 54 is a little bigger than I really need, and I just wanted a little more than the 42. The deck lift appears to be better, as well as the 2800 hydros.

So, one of my local dealers has a leftover '17 SD 48 with Kohler for $3500. I couldn't get him to come down any more than that. I tried to get maybe that number out the door, a mulch kit, engine guard, SOMETHING to sweeten the pie - but wouldn't budge. Still, I rationalized that for $500? More than the Raptor 52 and about the same as the Limited, I'm getting more mower. so, for another $10 over 48 mos it's worth it.

I had also considered Gravely. It appears that the ZTX build may be a little better than the Raptor, and the XL and SD are in line with each other?
Ultimately, had I not bought this, I probably would have bought a Limited leftover.

Anyway, I drop the deposit, and keep researching...and start reading about issues regarding hydro mounting bolts coming loose, cut quality issues and other stuff - but I guess no product is perfect, but most people seem happy with their SD. I just don't want to have a $4k machine here that I'm going to have issues with - that $1700 Craftsman never gave me any mechanical issues in the 300 hrs I have on it, except for spindle replacement.

I guess it's just the "am i buying the right one" anxiety. I plan on making the deck mod (cutting the corner), and belt cover mod. I guess I'll see how it cuts with the stock blades, but it sounds like I'll probably get better results with the high lifts.

Sorry for the rant. I'll post back with my impressions after the first cut.

Rick
Bucks County, PA

Mr. Mower

Threads
Congratulations on your new toy.

Reading your post I kinda know what you are experiencing on selecting the best ZT mower that is available for you. Too many out there and the selection can be a bit overwhelming.

Like you, I also didn't want to make a huge costly purchase $ then to start encountering problems. Just like you, before I made my selection choice and purchased my Hustler ZT Raptor Flip Up, I also was torn between Hustler and Gravely because it came down to those two only.

I used to own an old MTD Yardman from that old, now defunct store called Montgomery Wards (a.k.a. Monkey Wards) that I had purchased brand new for $1200 back in 1995 and it still worked when I got rid of it back in 2016 for my Hustler Raptor Flip Up. Really never had any major problems with the old MTD Yardman riding mower because I was always on top of it maintenance wise and well it lasted for me all those years.

Not a bad $1200 investment for a riding mower. So now I am hoping and praying that this Hustler ZT that I purchased will last me for many years to come as well.

To be honest though, you will encounter a problem or two from time to time with your Hustler mower but just keep on top of your mower, maintenance wise and you should be fine.

Good luck with your choice.

P.S. BUCKS COUNTY, PA.....that's the county where the movie SIGNS was filmed at, staring Mel Gibson and Juaqin Phoenix.

rpxr400

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I had my first cut yesterday. My first impressions...FAST, NICE cut. The fast is compared to my Craftsman lawn tractor. I think it took about 50 min for me to get it done, and the old mower was pushing about 1.5 h. The wife initially told me "order the mulch kit today" when she saw the grass coming out of the chute. When I was done - she was surprised at the lack of noticeable clippings left. It took a bit to get used to the controls - maybe 20-30 min - but by time i was finished i can say I was pretty comfortable.

i felt secure cutting along the sand mound and slight grade on the one side of my property. Trims pretty well, given the size of the deck.
No complaints at this point.
Seat is comfy. Ride is a little bumpy - but then again the old Craftsman was too. I can always do the suspension seat if it bothers me.

I cut at 4". I may drop it one notch next week and see how that goes. There was a small clump (about 3/4") in the top corner of the rear of the discharge where everybody cuts off the angled part when I was done - no big issue there.

My lawn hasn't looked this good in a long time! No issues, no complaints at this point.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Congrat's on your NEWBIE !! hope you have many years of enjoyment with it, please keep us updated on ocassion, it may help other folks trying to make the decision process you just experienced, easier for them, best of luck ...... Boo ..:thumbsup: