I left the dip stick loose on my Z445 today, and guess what!

eldowdy

Threads
  • / I left the dip stick loose on my Z445 today, and guess what!
I blew about a half quart of oil all over everything. It's a 27hp briggs. I didn't hurt anything, but what should I use to clean it up with? I don't want to harm the wires or connectors. I really don't want the transaxle coolers to get clogged. I saw some degreaser at the auto parts store, but it didn't look like it would be good for the wiring. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Ed Dowdy
Fithian IL

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would get some Dawn dish soap and mix it about 30/1 with water in a spray bottom. Spray everything down and then pressure wash or garden hose everything down. May have to do it a couple of times. When you are satisfied take your leaf blower and dry everything off. Then run the unit, PTO also, for about 15 minutes to get everything really dry. We just a pressure washer with heat, but I doubt you have one of those, but if you could hook your pressure washer to a hot water supply, it would go faster.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will DISAGREE with Rivets, DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER ON YOUR MACHINE !!! you will get water in places that will do unseen damage in due time. the spray de-greasers you mention will work fine, provided you cover the fuel system components, oil fill tube area,starter, with plastic wrap/ bags and any other electrical components that you think is necessary (the wiring will be fine) just do small sections with a brush and the spray, use a SOFT flowing stream from the garden hose ( NO NOZZLE ) use a leaf-blower or air hose to dry it off as much as possible, you can buy A/C condenser cleaner ( spray-can) in most hardware stores or at an A/C supplies center use that (according to directions) to clean the oil-coolers repeat the soft water treatment, after unit is dry, run machine till thoroughly warmed up, shut-down unit, let it cool off, then spray with W-D 40 wipe excessive amounts with a rag, onto the whole machine area that was washed, lubricate any grease fittings, be careful with chemical cleaners use EYE-PROTECTION, and some cleaners may discolor or stain paint if left on for extended periods without washing it off.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We’ve been pressure washing equipment for over 30 years, (every dealership I’ve had to deal with) and never have had a problem. Being in Wisconsin we even do it in the winter. How do you think we get salt off equipment after a winter storm. How do you think farmers keep their equipment clean, or highway departments keep their equipment from salt corrosion? The key is dry the piece when you are done washing. The OP can spend all the money he wants on degreasers and canned air, but there are cheaper ways. A good heated pressure washer and air compressors are our friends here in the north, and a little Dawn is used for more than cleaning ducks and beaches.

BashRipRock

Threads
I have to agree with Rivets. Here in Ohio, the pressure washer is king for all equipment. On the farm, after spring planting and fall harvest, we have a mobile pressure washer service come around a wash Tractors, Equipment and yes even the $500,000 JD Combine and the corn and soybean heads. The Tractors and such get washed in the late spring or summer so no big deal. Harvest here can last into late November sometimess December depending on the weatehr. A combine has electronic components every where. We have never had a single issue with the pressure washer. Also, the car washes are open in the winter here to get rid of the salt buildup after snow removal. ODOT (Ohio Department of Transportation) pressure washes everything. If not, they could not afford the cleaners, degreasers, etc and our road tax usuage would go through the roof. Different areas of the country will allow for different approaches. You will need to do what is best and the most economical for you. I would say covering key electrical compenets is not a bad idea if you can. When finished just make sure everything is dry. Dawn dish soap is great. We use it all the time on equipment and other things including tools. Happy Cleaning!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will agree pressure cleaning big heavy equipment and such is fine, but on these mowers, .. if you pressure wash and force water into bearings you'll never get it out, and RUST NEVER SLEEPS, I've seen the pressure washer addicts even spray their SHINGLE roofs and cry after the following rain storm, it's good for big stuff but NOT for a mower, however ... it's your choice.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which bearings are you taking about Boo, spindle bearings, caster wheel bearings, wheel bearings? Those are the bearings on a Zturn. Don’t know of any bearings on a push mower, mainly bushings. If I remember right, you are the same person who told me that grease will not migrate into a seal bearing when it gets hot. Pressure washing any piece of mowing equipment will not hurt it. I’ve salvage equipment which has been under water in floods with no problems and have not had to replace any bearings. Can water ruin a bearing, YES. Will pressure washing a piece of equipment cause premature damage if not dried properly, YES. Can pressure washing remove grease, oil and debris with no lasting effects, YES. In this case you should stick to counting the number of views on the Transaxle thread and don’t try to tell me how bad one of my practices are without having physical proof, just opinion. Right now I work for a family run dealership which has been around over 68 years and we pressure wash everyday. If it was as bad as you say it would be going down hill, instead of increasing the business to the point of hiring a new full time person every other year, for the last 10 years. We know what we are doing based on actual experience on small engine power equipment, not by what we read or communicate on the internet. You can continue to hate me now, but me and my opinions are not going away.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well Rivets... it was NOT me that said anything about grease migrating into a bearing, Personally ... I don't give a schitt what you think of me, for one, you have no idea of my mechanical experience's, you think I dick around and dump info and opinions off the web, I don't see tech's on this site, offer up links to Manuals, diagrams, and pic's as much as I do, I think some folks are helped better with a manual, and or pics, diagrams, if you SEE it, and read it, it tends to stay with you, I have a lot of info in my files and I don't mind sharing it, NO I don't own a shop or no longer work in one, I'm here to help others in what ways I can, and have fun at the same time, I'm not trying trying to be the GURU, or TOP-DOG, Mr. KNOWS it ALL or whatever you want to be.
I'm especially happy to know our Transaxle thread grinds your arse !! ........ guess YOU REALLY are a GRUMPTY OL BASSTURD !!

20130326-073014.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
John Deere service shops here use pressure washers all the time to clean mowers and rideons so I don't see any problems in using them.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
John Deere service shops here use pressure washers all the time to clean mowers and rideons so I don't see any problems in using them.

Well we ALL have our own methods of doing things, and if your way makes you happy, by all means, keep doing it that way ! .. :thumbsup: