Cracked useless air filled tires

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
I have heard about filliing tubeless lawn mower tires with foam, how does one do that ?, the recipiant in question would be a BS powered powered lawn clipping and leaf collector of the tow behind variety.It wotks very well, the problem is the tires are always flat and I do not want to spend a lot of cash on something that doesn't see that much use.:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tubes ?

Most of the goos that go in mower tyres will not seal a cracked sidewall.
To get them to do that you have to put the stuff in turn the tyre on its side then rotate for a long time to allow th goop to flow into & seal the cacks.
Refill the tyre and repeat on the other side.
Car sealants do not work well because they need heat to set and mower tyres never got hot enough.
The solid foam line plumbers use to fill in old pipe holes works for a time then it compresses and gets flat spots.
Tyre moose might work, but it will cost more than a new tyre.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes "Tubes" is what I would also put in, cheap as chips...!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'll further the motion ..... tubes only way to fly !!!

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
I'll further the motion ..... tubes only way to fly !!!

:thumbsup: You all made a believer out of Me, think I will try the tubes( it might be Me , it seems rubber doesn't hold up as good as it used to , I have inflated horrible looking tube tires that were probably 20 years old and they held air and had no luck with year old tubeless and dang wiper blades seem to last no time now ):confused2:
Thanx and a hat tip, G'day.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
:thumbsup: You all made a believer out of Me, think I will try the tubes( it might be Me , it seems rubber doesn't hold up as good as it used to , I have inflated horrible looking tube tires that were probably 20 years old and they held air and had no luck with year old tubeless and dang wiper blades seem to last no time now ):confused2:

thumbs up the wiper blades, Don't seem like they last 6 months any more.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

It is the same old story.
Latex is very stretchy but has low strength , chaff badly, and degrades in UV quickly.

The synthetic pollymers have high strength, do not stretch as well, are harder so don't chaff and are far more UV stable.

Now latex prices have tanked big time and synthetic polymers have skyrocketed so rubber blenders are shoving as much latex as possible in all the blends.

You get what you pay for and people don't want to pay for quality so the quality makers have gone bust and all that is left is rubbish,,, but it is cheap rubbish and that is apparently good.

A top shelf tube is abut 1/2 the price of a tyre.
Most tubes now days are about 1/10 the price of a tyre.

Bob E

Threads
I've seen a couple people on youtube fill tires with expanding foam in the can. It never seams to work out very well for them. The foam collapses making soft spots in the tire. Then they start spinning the bead.
The real tire foam is expensive, and makes for a harsh ride.
I've had great luck using liquid laundry starch in tires with cracked sidewalls. It works like slime but it's so cheap you can fill the tire till the sidewall crack gets covered every time it rolls around. The only downside is that it does freeze in the winter. I experimented with mixing the starch with anti freeze, very successfully. You can read about it here: http://www.mytractorforum.com/45-backyard-round-table-l-g-tractor-related-topics/187404-laundry-starch-tubeless-tires.html I chime in towards the end.
Tubes are great, but they are kind of pricey these days.

turbofiat124

Threads

I once tried using expandable foam in a small mini-bike just to see if it would work. It didn't. Maybe because it was a mini-bike tire. I ended up buying a new tire and tube.

I have not tried it in a lawnmower tire.

As far as wiper blades goes. Bosch microedge blades are the best. I had a set on my Subaru for more than 5 years. I replaced them with some Michelins and they did not last but a couple of years. I've got Rain-X brand on them now.

I'm not sure what I have on my Chevy van but it sits out in the weather and have been on there for about 6 years. Seems like they were the "store" brand from Advance Auto. I'm really surprised they haven't rotten by now being exposed to the weather.

Most of the stuff sold at those "As seen on TV" stores is junk but I've been really impressed with this device:

https://www.ebay.com/i/263239009935?chn=ps

KEVIN MCCUNE

Threads
Thanks Friends,
Tubes used to be dirt cheap, now they run around the teens, been thinking about rubber in General and I am wondering if something like Bars stop leak would work
? what kills me about these new tires is this, I know the innertube is protected, I have seen 30 year old cracked and muddy tube type tires inflate and stay inflated , these new rubber products don't seem to last any length of time, I have seen the old "Gum dipped" equipment tires made by the Old big companys last decades and older tires with a higher percentage of natural rubber were considered superior. What I am waiting for on Autos and other things are greater fitment and adoption of tweels.One other thing I used to peruse dumps and the older plastics seem to last a lot longer than the newer stuff, what gives on that? I believe things can improve if we presevere, maybe our lifestyles need overhauling we really place a burden on the biosphere, one other thing ,can We manufacture an Auto tyre out of thermoplastic ?