Stihl FS45 wouldn't stop....what a repair

deminin

Threads
I was trimming around some trees a couple of days ago with my smaller old Stihl FS45....and it wouldn't stop unless I turned on the choke. The Stop switch appeared to have broken internally, and would not fully engage. I bought this little rascal in 2005, and it has be trouble free...until this happened. The problem was pretty obvious, and I called my local Stihl dealer, and was amazed that he actually had one of the switches in stock...and just $5. I went over yesterday afternoon, and bought the switch, and this morning went out to my shop to replace the switch. Easier said than done. I had to remove virtually everything surrounding the engine to get the handles to split and separate. Then, it was quite a tedious chore to remove/replace the switch without damaging the upper handle. Finally, I got the new switch installed, and began the reassembly...hoping that I remembered how it all went back together. The biggest problem was routing the two wires going from the switch to the coil, such that they wouldn't get pinched between the two halves of the handle. Finally, after almost 3 hours, I had it all back together, and put some gas in it and crossed my fingers. Amazingly, it fired right up, and the new switch worked. I repeated the process 4 or 5 times, and congratulated myself on doing something right....for a change. I can just imagine what the labor costs would be to replace this little $5 switch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Congratulations on a job well done

Yes the scheduled chargable hours are 1.75 to replace the switch.
For me in Oz that is $ 100 for a Stihl shop it is $ 175.
You see now why few people get them repaired.

mikehouse

Threads
Hi Deminin,last summer when i was given my still it run all bogged down.Finally took it to an ACE hardware store (authorized dealer/repair) where the guy knew exactly what it was.Clogged smoke arrestor.I caught a deal,if i bought a tune up kit and some Motomix,he'd cancel the $65.00.So i did.Since then thanks to to Bertsmobil1,i learnd to do it myself.All of 10-15 mins.Talk about a racket.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Deminin,last summer when i was given my still it run all bogged down.Finally took it to an ACE hardware store (authorized dealer/repair) where the guy knew exactly what it was.Clogged smoke arrestor.I caught a deal,if i bought a tune up kit and some Motomix,he'd cancel the $65.00.So i did.Since then thanks to to Bertsmobil1,i learnd to do it myself.All of 10-15 mins.Talk about a racket.

Probably a minimum charge issue.
$ 65 or 1 hour is the minimum chargible time on their billing softwear.
A customer was a touch cranky when they checked their invoice and found tiny items like washers , nuts, bolts & rivets all itemised and charged at $ 1.50 each.
I suggested that he should take this up with the dealer and, as I thought, they had just installed new POS computer programe that automatically reorders every item used in every service or repair.
However it treats every item as if it was sold by itself and the minimum invoicing price was $ 1.50.
Because the invoice is tied to the inventory, there was no place for items like "workshop sundries " which was where you added the costs of items too cheap to invoice.
It also charged them for "shop rags" ( 3 of them @ $ 1-50 ea ) and 50ml of grease.
The workshop manager appologised and gave them a free bottle of oil as compensation for the $ 34.50 in trivial sundry items.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was trimming around some trees a couple of days ago with my smaller old Stihl FS45....and it wouldn't stop unless I turned on the choke. The Stop switch appeared to have broken internally, and would not fully engage. I bought this little rascal in 2005, and it has be trouble free...until this happened. The problem was pretty obvious, and I called my local Stihl dealer, and was amazed that he actually had one of the switches in stock...and just $5. I went over yesterday afternoon, and bought the switch, and this morning went out to my shop to replace the switch. Easier said than done. I had to remove virtually everything surrounding the engine to get the handles to split and separate. Then, it was quite a tedious chore to remove/replace the switch without damaging the upper handle. Finally, I got the new switch installed, and began the reassembly...hoping that I remembered how it all went back together. The biggest problem was routing the two wires going from the switch to the coil, such that they wouldn't get pinched between the two halves of the handle. Finally, after almost 3 hours, I had it all back together, and put some gas in it and crossed my fingers. Amazingly, it fired right up, and the new switch worked. I repeated the process 4 or 5 times, and congratulated myself on doing something right....for a change. I can just imagine what the labor costs would be to replace this little $5 switch.

That is EXACTLY why several of us member's on the site TRY, to always recommend , TAKE PICTURES when ever you work on ANYTHING ! even your dishwasher, the pics become your Manual, and believe me, after ya hit 70, it sure as hell helps !

BTW .. How's that 24 HP Briggs runnin these days ..??

deminin

Threads
That is EXACTLY why several of us member's on the site TRY, to always recommend , TAKE PICTURES when ever you work on ANYTHING ! even your dishwasher, the pics become your Manual, and believe me, after ya hit 70, it sure as hell helps !BTW .. How's that 24 HP Briggs runnin these days ..??

Even better than a picture,,,I found a good IPL of the FS45 on the Net, printed it off, and used it to double check the reassembly.

As for the B&S 24HP....it is doing great. Originally, I had some trouble starting it, but found that the throttle cable was not adjusted properly...it wouldn't go to full choke. I loosened the cable clamp and moved it forward about 1/4 inch, which allowed the choke to fully close. Now, after sitting for a few days, I go to full choke, and the engine fires right up within a couple of seconds, and I'm ready to mow. So far, this Husq is proving to be a real good buy.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even better than a picture,,,I found a good IPL of the FS45 on the Net, printed it off, and used it to double check the reassembly.

As for the B&S 24HP....it is doing great. Originally, I had some trouble starting it, but found that the throttle cable was not adjusted properly...it wouldn't go to full choke. I loosened the cable clamp and moved it forward about 1/4 inch, which allowed the choke to fully close. Now, after sitting for a few days, I go to full choke, and the engine fires right up within a couple of seconds, and I'm ready to mow. So far, this Husq is proving to be a real good buy.

I remember asking you about your "choke" set-up as I bought a used 24HP with the thermostatic choke, was trying to see if they worked as Briggs planned, but I'm switching it over to Manual choke anyway, glad to hear you're happy with the machine, later buddy, ...Boo

mikehouse

Threads
Just want to know 1 thing...what's an IPL?