VALVE ADJUSTMENT on BRIGGS EXPLAINED

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's another way of adjusting the valve clearance on a Briggs& Stratton OHV Engine EXPLAINED by TARYL (the Fixes All guy)
fast forward the video to APPROX. 19:min, 10:sec. where his explanation starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always just figured that the distance from the edge of the lobe (when closed) was a little different from one side to the other. The TDC technique ensures the cam is allowing the valves to close. Of course, at least 1/3 of the back side of the lobe is going to give you the same clearance on the valve adjustment. But being TDC on the compression stroke, leaves no room for a wrong setting.

I'm not sure about the 1/4" passed TDC. Maybe it's the same as I described above.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've used Tarly's method for YEARS ... NEVER a problem, fast N EZZZZZZ !!

Threads
Yes Boo I agree on that system/way of doing it....... In fact my buddy that i owned a shop with agrees with that...

I invited him to join us on here, but family/quality time is more to him than typing all the time...... Also it's shrimp season down here so his spare time is catching shrimp and crabs to stock his 4 huge freezers.... He might have 5 or 6 freezers by now.... They are a huge family....... Lot's of kids and they are healthy eaters...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah Bo, once you do it the way Taryl explains it, ( like we do, ) ya kick yourself in the arse for playin around with TDC and pokin a foreign object down into the cylinder, soooooo much easier !