Power loss when cutting blade is engaged

abarone300

Threads
Hello everyone
My HT-R3009 when the cutting blade is engaged It looses more power than normal, in fact when going over tall grass engine will stall if not switched to the slowest gear, if cutting grass taller than 12" it will stall at any speed.
When engaging the blade going uphill machine's speed will reduce to a crawl (motor speed will reduce also). When cutting blade is disengaged the engine runs fine for the exception of occasional misfire.
I cleaned the spark plug, replaced air filter no change. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the deck off and spin the blade.
It should spin freely and quietly
Grab the ends of the blade and try to rock it see saw style.
Any movement , any noise any resistance then the spindle bearings are gone.

These are good mowers but there is a limit and 12" of grass is way beyond the design of the machine at any speed.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cut the grass more often about 6" 12" is asking too much for and ride on mower.

abarone300

Threads
Hello everyone
My HT-R3009 when the cutting blade is engaged It looses more power than normal, in fact when going over tall grass engine will stall if not switched to the slowest gear, if cutting grass taller than 12" it will stall at any speed.
When engaging the blade going uphill machine's speed will reduce to a crawl (motor speed will reduce also). When cutting blade is disengaged the engine runs fine for the exception of occasional misfire.
I cleaned the spark plug, replaced air filter no change. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Sorry guys, I meant 12 cm! Sometimes I get confused with inches and cm. living here Italy I make that mistake often...
I realize that it would be asking too much, I'll try my best to cut it more often. Thanks for your advise
To the guy who suggested I "killed" my lawnmower I advise him to take a nice cup of camomile, like I said I made a mistake with the numbers, 12 cm is about four inches. The brake releases fine! Like I mentioned, when the blade is disengaged the lawn mower runs normal. I'm in the process of disassembling the blade/pulley and belt to see if there is any unusual friction. Thanks for trying to help

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
well if you are in Italy why did you say you live in New York when you joined.
And the brake I was talking about was the blade brake.
They are compulsory in the USA so as you said you are in the USA it will be assumed that you have the USA model.
And
:welcome::welcome:

abarone300

Threads
Dear "stick in the mud!"

well if you are in Italy why did you say you live in New York when you joined.
And the brake I was talking about was the blade brake.
They are compulsory in the USA so as you said you are in the USA it will be assumed that you have the USA model.
And
:welcome::welcome:

After living in the the US for over forty years and being naturalized there, I consider myself an American, I found it natural to check New York since there no choice to check "outside the US" like its customary. But I don't see what this has to do with my lawn mower, and why do I have to explain myself to you. Are you responsible for this site, if yes
is it against the rules to check the form with a different place of origin? If not, stop being the webmaster police, and help resolve the issue at hand if you're willing, without being critic. I noticed the other people who responded didn't do it with criticism as you did and weren't as "stick in the mud"

As far as the pulley brake is concerned, it works as good as it should; by releasing the pulley when the lever is brought forward to engage the cutting blade and contacting the pulley to disengage and stop it when the lever is pulled back. and yes it is well lubricated, like all the other parts, unlike your wrong supposition... I do have one question for you:
Do you check and lubricate DAILY all your parts, like you suggested? I doubt that!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Dear "stick in the mud!"

After living in the the US for over forty years and being naturalized there, I consider myself an American, I found it natural to check New York since there no choice to check "outside the US" like its customary. But I don't see what this has to do with my lawn mower, and why do I have to explain myself to you. Are you responsible for this site, if yes
is it against the rules to check the form with a different place of origin? If not, stop being the webmaster police, and help resolve the issue at hand if you're willing, without being critic. I noticed the other people who responded didn't do it with criticism as you did and weren't as "stick in the mud"

As far as the pulley brake is concerned, it works as good as it should; by releasing the pulley when the lever is brought forward to engage the cutting blade and contacting the pulley to disengage and stop it when the lever is pulled back. and yes it is well lubricated, like all the other parts, unlike your wrong supposition... I do have one question for you:
Do you check and lubricate DAILY all your parts, like you suggested? I doubt that!

Well I managed to get Australia into my profile and despite what a lot think Australia is not a part of the USA ,,,,,, yet.

And yes the country in the profile makes a difference to any advice given as Honda's have different specifications depending upon the region they are being sold in.
Where you reside is none of my business nor concern however based upon the profile location I dug out the USA specifications in place of opening the European models specification files

And if you failed to notice only one person offered a solution to your problem and suggested what to test & how to test it, and I think it might have been me. Apart from saying once & once only that 12 " is too much for a single cut on a RER there was no adverse comments made.

But since you asked, yes I blow down the deck with compressed air every time I finish mowing then give all of the moving bits a shot of dry lithium grease and the pivots & lifting arms for the deck. takes all of about 2 minutes and you might like to note that my mowers date from the 60's and are still going strong.
Good maintenance is it's own reward.

Now as you obviously find any assistance that I may give to you to be be offensive I shall not post any more on this thread.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone

"The speed will reduce to a crawl" check the belts

"the engine runs fine for the exception of occasional misfire." this could be a few things... water in the fuel, coil going bad, something getting in the way of the jets in the carb, valves may need checking out.

abarone300

Threads
Re: Dear "stick in the mud!"

Well I managed to get Australia into my profile and despite what a lot think Australia is not a part of the USA ,,,,,, yet.

And yes the country in the profile makes a difference to any advice given as Honda's have different specifications depending upon the region they are being sold in.
Where you reside is none of my business nor concern however based upon the profile location I dug out the USA specifications in place of opening the European models specification files

And if you failed to notice only one person offered a solution to your problem and suggested what to test & how to test it, and I think it might have been me. Apart from saying once & once only that 12 " is too much for a single cut on a RER there was no adverse comments made.

But since you asked, yes I blow down the deck with compressed air every time I finish mowing then give all of the moving bits a shot of dry lithium grease and the pivots & lifting arms for the deck. takes all of about 2 minutes and you might like to note that my mowers date from the 60's and are still going strong.
Good maintenance is it's own reward.

Now as you obviously find any assistance that I may give to you to be be offensive I shall not post any more on this thread.

Nobody said anything about your posts or assistance as being offensive, I merely said "critic". You can't expect everybody to be precise like you, although some people will accept constructive criticism, but that doesn't apply to
you since being critical and and offering constructive criticism it's not the same thing...