Tecumseh OVX-L120-202050D No Fire

omerta14

Threads
"I really enjoy the challenge of fixing things."
omerta14- for starters, u can run the valve seal test without the ignition coil- obviously it just won't fire but it might tell u why it won't start. If u *REALLY* want to fiddle more with it, I actually came across a 10hp tecumseh similar to yours (just no OHV) where the ignition coil post also broke off. If there is some post left, on mine i filed it down just so it is flat and tapped the post (be careful not to drill through into the cylinder) and added a spacer. Get longer (10-24??) screw thus 2nd post back to hold the coil. I used it for a few years(left it with the apt building when i sold it.) If you can find someone, u can also weld on the broken piece (shows welding is the one equip i dont have).

Like the *REALLY* in your reply...When I saw that post brake I almost tossed in the towel lol. I like the idea of trying to flatten out the post and tap... will test the valve seal as mentioned because if that is hosed, not sure its worth pursuing this any further...

Thanks for your feedback.
Mike.

omerta14

Threads
Like the *REALLY* in your reply...When I saw that post brake I almost tossed in the towel lol. I like the idea of trying to flatten out the post and tap... will test the valve seal as mentioned because if that is hosed, not sure its worth pursuing this any further...

Thanks for your feedback.
Mike.

UPDATE: I was able to flatten both broken posts and tap a bolt into each one....the ignition took a beating when it hit, so I replaced. I gapped it to .012". Tried using the specialized paper tool and noticed that I was only getting suction, no blowing upwards.

poured some gas into the spark plug hole and tried to fire it....took several cranks, but it fired up. Now it was running but rough...periodic air bursts back up into the air cleaner......Took it for a spin, but it did not have a lot of RPM and sounded like it would die a couple of times. However I was able to engage the deck and cut a small section of my lawn....

Didn't want to push it to much first time...So not really sure if this is an adjustment of some kind to get the motor roaring or she might be on her last legs...any suggestions on what I might be able to do?

Thank you for your help so far...although it was rough at times, it was nice to get this thing cutting!

Mike

upupandaway

Threads
.Now it was running but rough...periodic air bursts back up into the air cleaner......
Mike

Half way there....

I forget if u did, but check if the flywheel key is good and not sheared. Being off a hair can cause your problem.

btw, when u run, it won't reach full speed? if when running and "spitting back", do u see a puddle of gas at the bottom on the intake "throat"??
If Y and your carb bowl has an adjust screw, try adjusting it lean. Too rich will slow the motor...

Occasional sputter\slow can be by too rich, but bfore tearing it and checking if the valves are closing\sealing\gapped properly again try this.
Good luck.

Threads
Bert I thought everybody knew about that paper trick..........

Yeah right Bull Butter....... I didn't know that either.... Saves time for a quick test and then BREAK out the leak down tester............

Thanks Up and away ~!~!

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!