Courage starving for fuel

ghost1

Threads
A little help please. I have a Courage 20hp model SV601 that will run fine for about 30 seconds and then starts to get rough, backfires and dies. If it sets long enough for fuel to fill bowl (5-10 seconds), it will fire and again and repeat. I have gone through carb twice, new fuel filter, checked valve lash, and just clipped off end of fuel shut off solenoid with same results. Fuel filter is staying full of gas during the process, and I have kept fuel tank cap loose to make sure air is getting into tank. Is there something else I might look for?

ghost1

Threads
Cancel the search... Found problem.... A leaf blossom from maple tree had gotten into tank and was setting on bottom over intake (picture attached). Unbelievable. I guess look for the small stuff first.

Attachments

• IMG_2185[1].jpg
    IMG_2185[1].jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 8

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
A little help please. I have a Courage 20hp model SV601 that will run fine for about 30 seconds and then starts to get rough, backfires and dies. If it sets long enough for fuel to fill bowl (5-10 seconds), it will fire and again and repeat. I have gone through carb twice, new fuel filter, checked valve lash, and just clipped off end of fuel shut off solenoid with same results. Fuel filter is staying full of gas during the process, and I have kept fuel tank cap loose to make sure air is getting into tank. Is there something else I might look for?

YES a Maple leaf blossom inside the fuel tank, YOU shouldn't fool with Mother Nature !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Just couldn't resist ... Boobala .. :laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cancel the search... Found problem.... A leaf blossom from maple tree had gotten into tank and was setting on bottom over intake (picture attached). Unbelievable. I guess look for the small stuff first.

My Mother told me something a long time ago and I have lived by it. "If your car does not start do not replace the engine first"

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
YES a Maple leaf blossom inside the fuel tank, YOU shouldn't fool with Mother Nature !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Just couldn't resist ... Boobala .. :laughing:

Had a customer several years ago that was having problems with his riding mower It would run fine up until the last 2 inches of fuel in the bottom of the tank. this tank had the bottom outlet, so it wasn't an issue with the line not reaching the bottom. A blue bottle fly had gotten into the tank, and his head was the right size to act like a stopper on top of the fuel outlet.

DaveTN

Threads
Had a customer several years ago that was having problems with his riding mower It would run fine up until the last 2 inches of fuel in the bottom of the tank. this tank had the bottom outlet, so it wasn't an issue with the line not reaching the bottom. A blue bottle fly had gotten into the tank, and his head was the right size to act like a stopper on top of the fuel outlet.
Over the years I have found wasps, yellow jackets, spiders, various other bugs as well as organic and inorganic debris sloshing around. On the old B&S Engines with the
carburetgor on top of the tank you can slide on things for a while. The old side shaft B&S 5 HP we used on go carts will be forgiving as well.