52” Raptor Chute Clumpimg Solution?

chrisn710

Threads
Hey, I was cruising YouTube and saw a video where a Raptor owner solved the grass chute clogging issue by cutting out the bottom steel bar that connects the two bottom corners of the chute. Does anyone have any info about this? I’m tempted to try it, but am also concerned removing that bar could destabilize the deck.

Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's been quite a bit of discussion of doing that modification here. A search should turn up some threads.

DJ660

Threads
That kits only for the SD Raptors.

Kremeneon

Threads
I have a '14 (first batch) SD54 and cut the bar out last week. I was going to hold off posting about it until I was sure it was a good thing and had some good pictures to include. I've mowed twice with it now and I have NOT witnessed any clumps coming out of the chute, but I have not had a chance at thick rain-swollen and kinda tall conditions that I would consider to be the real test. I can say for sure that the clipping distribution actually uses the whole chute now, an edge to edge fan of grass. With the bar on there I'd say 90% of the grass came out as a tight jet right at the very front.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a '14 (first batch) SD54 and cut the bar out last week. I was going to hold off posting about it until I was sure it was a good thing and had some good pictures to include. I've mowed twice with it now and I have NOT witnessed any clumps coming out of the chute, but I have not had a chance at thick rain-swollen and kinda tall conditions that I would consider to be the real test. I can say for sure that the clipping distribution actually uses the whole chute now, an edge to edge fan of grass. With the bar on there I'd say 90% of the grass came out as a tight jet right at the very front.

A little off brand but on topic
A couple of time I have needed to fix a bar that had bent or broken on some rough cut pasture mowers.
used reo bar first time as i was using it to strengthen the deck, total disaster,
then welded an old blade across the mouth which worked a lot better
Then MkIII was an old blade, sharpened on the deck side cut to about 1.5" thick ( wide if you like ) from the left side of the opening to the rear edge.
Thus the tip of the blade sweeps over most of it and the grass at the front right side ends up getting back cut rather than standing up and blocking the path of the exiting grass.
A lot of pressed decks use a similar type of guard on the left side of the discharge chute but the fabricated decks dont.