Repairs Honda HRM215 - I broke the self-propel feature. Honda gurus required!

AltheaToldMe

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRM215 - I broke the self-propel feature. Honda gurus required!
Mower Model: Honda Harmony HRM215 K4 HXA

Mower Serial: MZBB-6500425

Mower no longer drives. Everything else about the mower is fine. Mower DROVE fine (48 hours ago) before I did the following work: (The mower would not roll backward)

I disassembled, cleaned and greased the wheels, adjusters, bushings, gears, spring and key. I left hydrostatic unit in place while doing these repairs.
After doing the wheels and reassembling the mower, I realized I was no longer self propelling. I removed the blades and roto-stop to ensure the belt had not slipped off the pulley and found it to be fine. I cleaned the clutch disks and reassembled the mower with freshly sharpened blades.

The long of it is - I am certain I caused the issue, but I know not where to look next. The drive clutch cable is free and moves freely, doesn't bind and was not adjusted at all during the wheel repair procedure. The hydrostatic unit was never removed because the jeezless speed clips that Honda uses (to secure the underside shroud) are rusted to heck and back.

Any assistance that the forum can provide would be excellent. The mower works fine, but I'd like it to roll like it did 48 hours ago!
As a final thought....could my spring have popped off that tensions the drive pulley? Can this large spring simply 'fall off' when the hydrostatic unit is loose in the frame?

Thanks for reading.

mesaboog

Threads
Are you sure you put the gears back in the proper orientation? They are directional and if you have them backwards...no self propel. Are you hearing the ratchet clicking noise when rolling forwards?

AltheaToldMe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you sure you put the gears back in the proper orientation? They are directional and if you have them backwards...no self propel. Are you hearing the ratchet clicking noise when rolling forwards?

Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, I am sure. I poured over this site and YouTube a whole bunch on the "Won't pull backward" issue and made sure that I had them in correctly. I know that the flat of the gear go towards the rear of the mower. I hear faint clicking, but I greased everything well.

Edit: I just found a doc from Robert that shows the gear orientation using the factory casting dots. I will review the gear installation and report back.

I'm wondering if I didn't get the trans cocked in the mount and the belt is slipping. I don't hear the whine I used to when the unit engages either.

I'd love to get the shroud off the bottom, but the speed nuts are rusted tight and I would have to use a die grinder to remove them.

AltheaToldMe

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE**:

I have propped the mower up and removed the wheels and the gears again eliminating them as a probable cause because the drive shafts are not turning at all - gear or not. The belt is in tact and apparently tight enough. When the motor is running, the belt and both pulleys are spinning and cannot be observed slipping.

Either I snapped the woodruff key on the transmission pulley and the pulley is just spinning, or this is just an unfortunate coincidence that the drive failed while the mower was being serviced. I am not inclined to think that the drive 'broke' internally.

I guess the next step is going to be obtaining a carbide bit for my die grinder and grind away the rusted speed nuts that Honda put on the jeezeless deck so I can remove the bottom shroud and finally remove the entire drive assembly to check the fluid level.

I'm lost for now. I'm certainly not going to buy a new drive unit though.....they call it a push mower for a reason. :D

Edit** I am leaning toward a possible cable issue now. It's the only piece of the puzzle that would or could have moved out of place while the drive was loose in the frame. The cable adjustment at the handle is maxed out. I'm going to rig a mirror up and see if the clutch lever is even engaging like it should.

Thanks for reading my book all!

Last edited: