18 hp Vanguard Oil Leak

bk10s

Threads
I have an 18 hp Vanguard 350777 on my Simplicity Broadmoor. Oil is leaking from the back of the engine and down onto the deck. Where should I look first, and is this common on these? 366 hours. Many thanks -

Upon further inspection, it may be coming from under the fill tube?

Last edited:
Threads
You will have a O ring on the bottom of the dip stick tube.... That's bad or you have too much oil in the engine....

Easy easy fix .........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending upon which model Vanguard you have there will either be a grommet under a flange on the dip stick tube or the tube will have an O ring or two.
They get flattened &/or go hard over time, replace them.

Luffydog

Threads
If it's leaking close or by the oil filter this may be your issue 807689 that's the part number and it's a part that is common to leak oil filter adator gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.PNG
    IMG_0535.PNG
    684.1 KB · Views: 11

bk10s

Threads
Depending upon which model Vanguard you have there will either be a grommet under a flange on the dip stick tube or the tube will have an O ring or two.
They get flattened &/or go hard over time, replace them.

Do I have to drain the oil before removing the bolt at the bottom of the dip stick tube? May try to tackle this tomorrow.

bk10s

Threads
If it's leaking close or by the oil filter this may be your issue 807689 that's the part number and it's a part that is common to leak oil filter adator gasket.

I will check to see if this is leaking and then running across to the other side of the unit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do I have to drain the oil before removing the bolt at the bottom of the dip stick tube? May try to tackle this tomorrow.

No the oil level is below the crankcase seam just be careful you don't drop rubbish into it.

bk10s

Threads
Replaced the O ring at the bottom of the filler tube with a match from the hardware store. Dealer only will sell the entire filler tube. However, I may have over-tightened the lower bolt and cracked the tube. Now we will wait and see. I ran it for about 10 minutes and watched. No leak. The tractor sits at a small angle to the left in the garage. It never leaks while it is running on level ground. Fingers crossed!

bk10s

Threads
Bad News. Still leaking. But the area around the dipstick tube looks great! It seems like the oil is flowing out from right under the motor mount closest to the dipstick tube. GRRRRRR!

bk10s

Threads
Still searching.....Why would air be coming out of both valve covers?

Last edited: