Lithium battery dedicated edger?

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Anyone make such an animal?

or

I did see an Oregon powerhead attachment system, anything else like that available in other manufacturer lines?

I bought a new home on a corner lot - with sidewalks. Can't stand the thought of using my old GW string trimmer on its side for all that.

MowerMike

Threads
Anyone make such an animal?

or

I did see an Oregon powerhead attachment system, anything else like that available in other manufacturer lines?

I bought a new home on a corner lot - with sidewalks. Can't stand the thought of using my old GW string trimmer on its side for all that.

The only one I’m aware of is the Ryobi 18 volt model, which replaces the old 24 volt model. You can get one with battery and charger at Home Depot dot com for $119 (model P2310).

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Well, I bought one. OMG, SO much better than using a sideways string trimmer. The battery capacity is not great,also seems like it may burn thru blades quickly, but I'm dealing with a LOT of neglected edges so, perhaps it will be better when I get to maintenance instead of 'remediation' levels of use. Ergonomics and construction seem good so far.

I think I'm going to eventually replace all my old 18V ni-cd B&D stuff with the Ryobi one+ options.

It's about time huh?

Last edited:

Lithium Man

Threads
I use the Ego edger from the power head attachment line up. It works extremely well. I use it commercially just about everyday.

LotusLord

Threads
Well, I bought one. OMG, SO much better than using a sideways string trimmer. The battery capacity is not great,also seems like it may burn thru blades quickly, but I'm dealing with a LOT of neglected edges so, perhaps it will be better when I get to maintenance instead of 'remediation' levels of use. Ergonomics and construction seem good so far.

I think I'm going to eventually replace all my old 18V ni-cd B&D stuff with the Ryobi one+ options.

It's about time huh?

I got a Ryobi One+ tool kit with ni-cd batteries in 2005ish. The batteries are still compatible with new chargers and tools and vice versa. I've since picked up a battery powered blower in from the same line and I'm quite happy with it. That said I have a B&D string trimmer that I got as a hand me down. It is functional but the battery life is not where I like it to be, and a lot can be said about universal batteries (I can't find additional batteries or chargers for this trimmer). Please come back and post if the edger ends up being OK for you as I don't yet have one and at some point would like to. My grandpa is looking down on me and shaking his head at the neglect my lawn is seeing.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Lotus, I have already gone back over most of the areas I edged and performance/battery life are fine. As the blade wears, it can both be flipped over and re-mounted, as well as lowered farther so, my first guess about wear is not as concerning to me. I'm not tall, but the length of the 'stick' still seems a little short - I probably need to adjust the D handle to be in a little more 'ergonomic' position - sometimes hard to know when both wheels are on the concrete.

To me, it's a keeper!

LotusLord

Threads
Lotus, I have already gone back over most of the areas I edged and performance/battery life are fine. As the blade wears, it can both be flipped over and re-mounted, as well as lowered farther so, my first guess about wear is not as concerning to me. I'm not tall, but the length of the 'stick' still seems a little short - I probably need to adjust the D handle to be in a little more 'ergonomic' position - sometimes hard to know when both wheels are on the concrete.

To me, it's a keeper!

Cheers Texan. I'll keep my eye out for deals. Maybe it'll be a gift to myself since the kids probably aren't thinking of me much with a birthday and vacation on the horizon.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Last time I used the edger, it was vibrating somewhat - I may need to put a new blade on it or try to balance the half-worn one on there. There does seem to be a little shaft play but I can't be certain if it was always like that.

My MIL bought 2 months of lawn service for me (so I'm temporarily surrendering my man card I guess) but, I'll update what I find with it next time I use it.

dougmacm

Threads
I bought into the Ryobi 18V Lithium Tool line back in 2012 and have accumulated quite a few tools & batteries for my shop as well as my yard since. Since I already have plenty of batteries and chargers, I ordered the Tool Only Ryobi P2300B 18V Edger last Spring.

Have owned my house since 1992 and had never owned or used a powered edger … done some hand edging with a spade a time or two but that is it. So the task at hand was indeed a challenge for this "non-gas-powered" tool last Spring.

Anyway, had to go slow to avoid tripping the circuit breaker and burned through 2 4Ah batteries total, maybe an hours worth of work. It was easy to operate and is certainly capable, but if you are used to a gas power one, you may not agree.

The blade was barely worn from the 1st use, so I did not even bother flipping it over when I re-edged again about a month ago. It was really hot out that day so I only did my front walks and driveway, saved the back patio area for later.

Key is to go slow and don't attempt with anything other than a 4Ah or higher capacity battery; the tool is only 18V and does not have a lot of torque.

I've recently bought a Greenworks 40V G-MAX Brushless 14" String Trimmer that is attachment capable and my brother has the edger attachment that I plan on borrowing to try out in my back yard. I'm sure with the brushless motor and double the voltage at the same 4Ah this tool will be more up to the job.

If Ryobi would re-design the P23008B with a more powerful Brushless motor like it has been doing with many 18V tools, it would be perform much better.

Doug