Gravely ZT HD-52 for $5200 vs ???

keith204

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 1.2 acres. Several trees, obstacles, ditches, buildings and retaining walls so I'm set on a Zero Turn. The ZT HD-52 is at the top end of my budget, but it seems like a good option. Locally, the small engines shop has Gravely and Toro. Springfield is 30 minutes away and would have pretty much anything, but it would be nice to stay local for maintenance unless savings would be notable.

Questions for you:

Alternatives: is there anything else I should seriously consider at $5200 or under? I don't think higher is an option unless it's a huge increase in mower for only a few more dollars.

Cutting Width: My previous mower had a 54" deck that extended well beyond the anti-scalp wheels. This resulted in a bit of digging when mowing uneven surfaces. The Gravely 52 looks like that won't be as much of an issue. Thoughts?

Engine: I believe the ZT HD 52 is offered in a Kohler and Kawasaki. Kohler is $200 less. Thoughts on the two?

Negotiation: When buying a mower at a small engines shop that has 40 zero turns out front, what sort of ways are acceptable to negotiate without being a jerk?

Price: Does $5200 for a ZT HD 52 w/ a 3-year warranty sound right?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I live in Springfield and do not like any of the dealers here. Bob Cat would be the only other brand I would choose from but I really like the little guy Dealer. If you like him buy from him. $5200 is reasonable. Like any other company just go and shoot him a price that you want and see. Just remember with Zero Turns $100 of $200 off is a sale so not much wiggle room.

tbzep

Threads
I have a fairly rough yard and don't have any issues with my ZT HD-52 digging in or scalping. Mine has the Kawasaki engine and has been flawless during the short time I've owned it. The Gravely replaced an old Craftsman (AYP/Husky) lawn tractor with a Kohler engine that was about 21-22 years old and still going strong. For better information on the engines, you will have to look at the specific engine models.

As for haggling, I was just honest with them and told them I was looking at three mowers, the Gravely I eventually bought, a previous year model Gravely at another dealer, and another brand at another dealer, all close to me. I asked him what he could do for me to choose his mower over the others. IIRC, he knocked off $200 which put it within $50 of the previous year model at the other dealer. I told him if he'd throw in a hat from his business so I could advertise for him (he also repairs and races ATV's), I'd stick with him. He agreed and we've had a great business relationship and I've had a great mower ever since. YMMV, of course.