toro time cutter clutch will not engage

tsgtwheeler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toro zero turn 74376
ok today I was mowing some tall weeds in a my yard and believe it or not the deck fell to the ground. I shut it off and reinstalled the deck and not the cluth will not engage any suggestions. I do not have the money right now for a mechanic. I can do most things.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The deck will fall off if it gets lifted 1" higher than the hooks that hold it on.
A design fault that becomes a problem in very long & thick grass and when mowing too low , particularlly an uneven lawn.

The clutch wires hang down and are quite vunerable to being snagged by small shrubs and thick tufty grasses.
Jack up the back of the mower, or run it up some car ramps so you can get under it.

The clutch is on the end of the engine and has 2 wires coming off it check that they are there and still connected.
The clutch also has some sort of peg to stop it rotating.
It should rattle back & forth just a little bit but if you can turn the whole thing then the stay has fallen off.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro has come out with a fix for that deck hook issue, years ago. One could also just use heavy duty Zip Ties (1) on each hook to the rod.

I never had this problem, but I still fabbed 2 small straps that I drilled thru & the mounts, Bolted & the deck is not coming off till I want it off.

Luffydog

Threads
Got to love those cheap plastic hangers that the rods pop out of that are a pain to get back in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro has come out with a fix for that deck hook issue, years ago. One could also just use heavy duty Zip Ties (1) on each hook to the rod.

I never had this problem, but I still fabbed 2 small straps that I drilled thru & the mounts, Bolted & the deck is not coming off till I want it off.

Thanks for sharing.
I am a freelance repair shop so stuff is generally fairly old and 2nd or 3rd hand before I get to play with it.
Only had 2 customers where this was a regular problem.
Both widows who were not strong enough to refit the deck and both liked to cut the grass at 1"

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: Bert- my neighbor cuts @ 1", his lawn just starts to look alive, then he mowes it almost to the dirt. I don't mind cause makes my deep grass look that much better.