Tall grass cheetah cutting problems

tonymoore

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 2014 cheetah 52" this season I'm having problems with it not cutting high grass I have replaced the worn belts new high lift blades and moved the baffle up one notch from factory setting and still not cutting good the grass I'm cutting is somewhere in the range of 8-12 inches tall.Can anyone help please

John R

Threads
Have to move slow, or mow it two or three times.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grass that tall lays down, front caster wheels push it down. Hard to get a quality cut on grass that long in one pass with any mower. Make sure deck isn't plugged with clippings, listen to engine and slow down if it's bogging. Do a second cut at 45 or 90 degrees.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would like to see that. Something is going on apparently because a Velocity Deck should take that down with NO Problem.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grass that tall lays down, front caster wheels push it down. Hard to get a quality cut on grass that long in one pass with any mower. Make sure deck isn't plugged with clippings, listen to engine and slow down if it's bogging. Do a second cut at 45 or 90 degrees.

The Velocity Plus Deck normally cuts that tall of grass in one pass clean with no stringers. Have cut Bahia grass that tall all day long with one. Normally the blades have to be changed/sharpened in a couple of hours cutting like that but it will cut it clean.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think you're cutting the same grass in Alabama as the OP is in Tennessee. Scags are good mowers but I'm sure there are conditions where there would be cut quality problems at that length. Ain't no way you're cutting foot tall grass in one pass this time of year where I am in the Northeast without cut quality problems with any mower! You'd have to be a freaking magician...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think you're cutting the same grass in Alabama as the OP is in Tennessee. Scags are good mowers but I'm sure there are conditions where there would be cut quality problems at that length. Ain't no way you're cutting foot tall grass in one pass this time of year where I am in the Northeast without cut quality problems with any mower! You'd have to be a freaking magician...

Or where I live. You'd have to bale the clippings as there's nowhere for that much cut grass to go.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wish I had taken pictures yesterday. I cut some stuff that was thigh deep.

Cut it 5" high

Had to go over it a second time though.

It was a mixture of clover and rye grass and other stuff.

Steve0853

Threads
I have a 61 inch Scag TT, a 52 inch V-ride, both with Velocity decks, and an old Grasshopper with 61 inch deck.

If it's Bahia or dandelions, you are better off to make two passes with all of them. I can make two passes at speed and the cut will look better than one very slow pass.

jekjr is right about the sharp blades, though. Keep them sharp and you can pick up the speed quite a bit.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing that just came to mind on this issue is that some where the baffle under the deck might have gotten lowered. Raise the mower and the baffle in the front of the deck can be raised in 1/4" increments. Optimum setting for cutting tall stemmed grass is all the way up or possibly even removed. That might be the answer to you problem.

I definately would try that because a Velocity Deck is supposed to cut tall stemmed grass without having the issues you are having.