Oil leak on 27hp Briggs Commercial Turf

HammerTime

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all -

I've just started seeing oil leaking from around the base of my Briggs 27hp Commercial Turf series engine. It's on a Ferris is700z with less than 125 hrs. The engine model is 49T877-0010G1-140911YG.

I'm seeing some posts and articles reporting leaking oil sump gaskets on these models. Does anyone have any tips on how I can tell if this is the problem here - without pulling the motor?

Also - would anyone have an idea of how much a repair like this would cost? Though I'm looking at less than 125 hrs, it was bought back in July 2015. I'm not certain if it's still covered by warranty or not.

Anyone gone through this outside of their warranty period?

Thanks for any input you can offer,

Steve

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In 2013 I repowered my 2008 Scag Tiger Cub with an engine similar to yours, it developed an oil leak from the base gasket.
The leak was bad enough to mess up the rear of the machine and started to affect the electric clutch.
Actually the repair is not difficult although the engine must be removed from the machine which means that the clutch must be removed before the engine can be removed from the machine. The pump drive pulley also needs to be removed from the crankshaft before the base can be removed.
There was a problem with the base gaskets and the replacement gasket is improved to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
Also there is a bolt torque change and instructions how the torque pattern is to be done.
In my older threads on this site there are pics of the replacement of the base gasket that I did.
As the engine needs to be turned up side down to do the repairs, it is recommended to drain the engine oil before removing the engine from the machine.
I may still have the pics on a flash drive and will look for them should you want to see them.
Do a search for " Engine oil leak on Scag with Briggs Commercial Turf engine"

Threads
If the leak is coming from the side of the engine onto the frame then yes it's a sump gasket OR if it's coming from the oil drain area then I would look good at the drain tube where the tube goes into the engine....

Those vibrate loose all the time........

Let us Know Mon Ami ~!~!

diamatron

Threads
Same engine, same hours, same leak.

I purchased a little under 4 years ago. Snapper pro warranty 4 years, but engine only 2. So I guess we have to live with it or pay for repair.

I will try to make sure its not the drain tube leaking. By your comments.

And will have to call and get an estimate for repair if its the sump gasket.

Leroy03

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all -

I've just started seeing oil leaking from around the base of my Briggs 27hp Commercial Turf series engine. It's on a Ferris is700z with less than 125 hrs. The engine model is 49T877-0010G1-140911YG.

I'm seeing some posts and articles reporting leaking oil sump gaskets on these models. Does anyone have any tips on how I can tell if this is the problem here - without pulling the motor?

Also - would anyone have an idea of how much a repair like this would cost? Though I'm looking at less than 125 hrs, it was bought back in July 2015. I'm not certain if it's still covered by warranty or not.

Anyone gone through this outside of their warranty period?

Thanks for any input you can offer,

Steve
I have the same engine what did you do to fix the problem?

Leroy03

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the leak is coming from the side of the engine onto the frame then yes it's a sump gasket OR if it's coming from the oil drain area then I would look good at the drain tube where the tube goes into the engine....

Those vibrate loose all the time........

Let us Know Mon Ami ~!~!
I have the same engine on a 2015 Simplicity Prestige. It too has an oil leak, no smoke at 73 hours and it leaks as it sits. The plate the engine sits on is very oily and the clutch top is oily. The fill tube seal looks good to me, less than two weeks of mowing and this happens.

loneryder

Threads
Anybody know if they fixed this problem at the factory by 2017-18? That's when I bought my I700Z with the Briggs Commercial engine.

owassocubsfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All, I had this problem on my 2013 IS700Z - started leaking around 50 hours - then completely dumped the pan seal and most of the oil came out. Lucky it didn't burn down since the oil went all over the hot muffler and exhaust. Local dealer replaced the sump gasket under warranty. Now, at only 250 hours on the machine, it's leaking again. leaving a small puddle in the garage when sitting. Trying to see if I can get B&S to cover it again since the fix didn't last. I mean, come on, I only have 250 hours on this engine and we're going to replace the sump gasket for a second time? It's just rediculous. Doesn't help that B&S are bankrupt and being sold. Don't expect quality to get better from them. I'll never buy a B&S product again...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have the same engine on a 2015 Simplicity Prestige. It too has an oil leak, no smoke at 73 hours and it leaks as it sits. The plate the engine sits on is very oily and the clutch top is oily. The fill tube seal looks good to me, less than two weeks of mowing and this happens.
IF it is leaking while sitting then the oil level is too high as it should be just under the split line for the sump .

Threads
I had the same problem with my kawasaki fx600v on a ferris, not a briggs and straton issue. I thought it was a leaking head gasket but reading above it appears to be a baseplate gasket issue that I havent heard before