DYT 4000 2004

Pochie

Threads
I did it one at a time. Set the intake at .003 and exhaust at .006. It ALMOST started but just a mite (not really running) and backfired all the while cranking. I checked the clearances again and they didn't change.
I know Taryl has a video on backfiring so I'm going to watch that now. I got it back together fine and it was pretty easy as you said but now I'll have to check further. The intake is on the bottom and the exhaust is the top valve.

Pochie

Threads
I now set both valves at .005. Still the same....cranks but doesn't start and lots of backfires.

Threads
I didn't look back at the previous posts, but did you check for bent rods ?? Did you check the valve guides ?? Did you check the valves in case they need to be lapped ???

Either one of them can cause that backfiring...........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Pochie

Threads
I paid NAPA to do a valve job for $95. They found a destroyed guide and replaced it. The head came back looking like new. My pushrods are straight and not bent at all. I would assume they lapped the valves.

Threads
Then check the push rod travel and see if they are both the same....... Cam might be wore out.....

That's about the only thing left to check ................

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK there is some thing basically wrong here.
So back to basics.
First double check that the timing key in the flywheel is still intact.
Next check that the pushrods are on the right followers by removing the plug rotating the engine till a valve is open then blowing compressed air , WD 40 from a pressure can etc into the plug hole ans see where it comes out.

Pochie

Threads
I am going to call a guy who works on mowers and describe the problem and see if he can assist and how much it might cost. I don't mind putting another $100 or so in her if she runs well .Then as much as I don't want to purchase a new mower, that might be my only option. My grass in places is now about 18" high. Thank you for all your help.

Threads
I have no idea why I can't see the new post's in here ????? Since I posted about the push rods I went out and did 2 mobile service jobs.....

I came in my shop 2 times for parts and then came back in again to check for an update.........

One of them I made a video on it and posted it on this forum..........

Oh well .................