DYT 4000 2004

Pochie

Threads
Wow! All that, I believe it out of my mechanical ability. I will visit a shop near me and see what their price is. In looking at her I would still put $300 to make her well. She fits V me nice and cuts well. Thank you for the information.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wow! All that, I believe it out of my mechanical ability. I will visit a shop near me and see what their price is. In looking at her I would still put $300 to make her well. She fits V me nice and cuts well. Thank you for the information.

Watch the videos first, it is not a difficult job.

Pochie

Threads
I watched taxyl's video..I can replace the gasket. Should I drain the oil first?Since the engine only has 270 hours on and runs well,would I need to have the valve job done at a shop? Will the carb then work correctly due to the change in compression? I put a new carb on and couldn't adjust it while it was running at almost full power with all that smoke. I really appreciate your guidance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Leave the oil in there because there is a good chance you end up with gunk in there after cleaning the head & block.
Run the mower for 10 minutes or so then change the oil and the filter if it has one.

Heads rarely need work but take a picture of it & post for opinion ( no shortage of them around here ).
And yes there is no way to tune an engine with a leaking head gasket.
Also treat the engine to a nice new spark plug.

Pochie

Threads
Thank you. Will get back when I tackle it.

Pochie

Threads
I took the head off and took pictures and notes. It took me 45 minutes. The gasket had many cracks in. I took the head to a shop to have a valve job. I have been watching YouTube on how to set the valves.
Question: as you move the flywheel and the exhaust valve is depressed in as far at it goes and the intake is out as far as it goes, is that when you adjust the intake valve? and then turn the flywheel so when the exhaust is extended, you adjust that one?
[/SIZE]I am excited to at my first try at this procedure. I checked and the Intake clearance is .003-.005 so I am setting it at .004...............the Exhaust is .005-.007 so I am setting that at .006. The head bolts torque is 18.4 Ft. lbs. I am hoping to get the head back tomorrow. The piston top is about 95% very clean.

Pochie

Threads
I put the new gasket on and the head bolted in at 18.4 ft. lbs. I put a little grease on the engine side of the gasket. Now, I am still confused re setting the valves. On this Itek 18.5 hp engine...
Is the top valve the INTAKE and the bottom valve the EXHAUST? Looking fromt the front of the engine my carb is on the right side and the exhaust pipe on the left.
Also, in adjusting the valves. Can I adjust both when on TDC? I have read two methods...One is the TDC when both valves are closed....valve springs fully extended?
and the other method is when one valve is closed and the other open....now, my confusion:
when one valve spring is fully extended out...is that valve opened or closed?
THEN, the other valve spring...pushed in farther would be the opposite?
Thank you. I am hoping to do this tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valve closed means rocker slack
Valve open means rocker pressing on the valve.

Don't forget the little caps on the end of the valves.
As for how you set the engine for adjustment it is a matter of choice.
A cam is a circle with a pimple on it .
You need the followers to be on the circle and not the pimple when you adjust them

Different cams have the pimple further around the circle , they are called lifting ramps & closing ramps.

The fully open / fully closed method is used by a lot of mechanics cause it works on any engine regardless of the length of the ramps.
Thus they don't have to remember 200 different engine positions.

Long closing ramps were very popular to make the engines quiet as they gently close the door rather than allowing it to slam shut.
Long ramps also make life easier on the engine.
However the EPA like slamming shut to avoid unburned fuel passing through the engine.

Pochie

Threads
I will set valve lash with both valves closed (TDC) and then check clearance when one is open and the other closed. Is the intake on the top valve and exhaust bottom?

Threads
The easiest way to do it is the way Taryl did it with one closed one open.... No confusion that way on TDC.... Then you rotate the flywheel for the next valve...

Go ahead and do both at 4 thousands.......... I do it all the time that way in my shop........