Kohler 7000 Started Surging Suggestions Needed Please

franktroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 7000 Started Surging Suggestions Needed Please
Hi Follks,

I am not the best at fixing small engines so I am trying to learn.

I have a Troy-Bilt Zero turn with a Kohler 7000 Engine and Walbro Carb. The engine started to sputter and die when I ran it for 5 min. The first thing I tried is pulling off the carburetor and cleaning it, but no luck. However now I seem get engine surge right after start up which i did not notice before. So I checked the fuel pump and gas tank for blockage and it seems to be sending gas fine so no luck there. I checked the spark plugs and they seem fine. Then I took off the Carburetor, cleaned it again, and used a rebuild kit, still no luck.

I am about to put another Carburetor on it. But before I do, any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Surging is always due to insufficient fuel for the volume of air.
So two sides to this, too much air, leaks ? or not enough fuel or both.

There is a pilot circuit and a main running circuit.
IT seems that the pilot circuit is fine but the main circuit is still blocked.
If it has an adjustable idle jet , that needs to be opened up a touch.

franktroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the help.

If the "main running circuit" is inside the carburetor it was probably a very thin brass pipe that went down the middle, this was impossible to clean and not removable, although I stuck a wire in, shot it with carb clearner and blew it out. Around this small tube was another larger tube that I was able to remove (called a nozzel on one diagram I found), it had smaller holes through its side and I was able to clean it all out. This is hard to explain in an email. But both of these were capped with a screw/nozzel) on top that had to be removed to pull the larger tube out.

Or is the "main running circuit" somewhere else? Possibly an adjustment that might be under a cap on the outside of the carburetor?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not being one to reinvent the wheel, this site has the best carb cleaning instructions
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/
Some times I have to clean them multiple times.
Also make sure the fuel supply is good & strong, there are no kinks in the fuel lines, the filter is clean, the pump is connected right way round.

Using a trigger pack soak the joints between the carb and the mower with WD 40 or similar to check for air leaks after the carb.

Luffydog

Threads
Kohler had an date where the flashing in the heads from casting needed to be drilled out because of the oil ports. Also might check the evap hose if equipped also the carb jets needed help as well

franktroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just replaced the carb with a new one and made sure there were no air leaks. Blew out all the hoses again. Drained the tank again. Checked evap line. It ran almost fine for two min, then started surging again. What the Heck! Any other suggestions?

Luffydog

Threads
Most new engine wil surge until you put it under a load only one that I haven't seen surge new is the Kawasaki. The bad casting in the head might be causing it to leave oil in the head for to long and sucking the oil causing poor running as you described. That's the update I was talking about.

franktroy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the issue ended up being the carburetor, I just didn't transfer a part from the old one to the new one. It's working fine now.