HRX217TDA 3 speed Tranny diagnosis

mesaboog

Threads
Hello, I recently picked up a used HRX217TDA. The self propel is not working. Upon inspection, I can see that the shift cable is frayed right near where it connects to the transmission. The wheels do not turn at all no matter what manipulation I do with the 3 speed shift selector or the drive bar. Obviously, it needs a new cable, but my question is this....Would a bad shifter cable prevent the wheels from turning at all, even when lifted off the ground? My assumption would be that there would be some drive, just no ability to shift. Or is there a chance it is stuck between gears and the cable inputs are no allowing the tranny to find a gear.

Just trying to figure out whether I am dealing with just a bad shift cable or if the tranny is bad. I do not believe there is any issue with the drive cable or its adjustment.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Scott

Ava.Feret

Threads
I love Hondas, but the 3 speed transmission is garbage. From your diagnosis the transmission is bad.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replace the shift cable, adjust it and you will know if its the cable or something in the gear box. cable needs to be right there is not that much movement in the lever, your drive belt may also need to be replaced.