B&H 21 hp Intek engine is backfiring through the carb & exhaust

TWHguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&H 21 hp Intek engine is backfiring through the carb & exhaust
I recently purchased a used Craftsman YS4500 riding mower with a B&H 21 hp single cylinder Intek engine. I purchased the riding mower from a neighbor who indicated that the mower ran fine last year, but when they began using the mower this spring, it emitted a large about a white & blue smoke and that oil was spraying out the muffler. I assumed that the problem was a blown head gasket. Even though I have little experience with small engine repair, I did dissemble the mote and found that the I the head gasket had indeed failed. I replaced the headgasket and also thoroughly cleaned the carburator and installed new seals & gaskets. I also replaced the air and fuel filters. After completing all of those items, the mower started right up. However, it was running very rough and appeared to be backfiring through both the carburator and the exhaust. Once the mower warms up a bit it runs fine, until I increase the throttle. If I increase the throttle quickly, it will start to miss and backfire. However, if I increase the throttle slowly, it will run smoothly. Once I engage the mower blades, it immediately backfires and runs rough. However, if I decrease the throttle, the engine will begin running smoothly. I can then slowly increase the throttle and it will run smoothly and I can mow the lawn. However, at times, without warning, the engine begins to backfire again. When this happens, I stop the mower, lower the throttle until the engine runs smoothly, and then increase the throttle slowly.

I understand that something is wrong with the engine and I cannot continue to operate it with this problem. I suspect two things... from what I have read, it seems that the issue is either a timing problem that could be caused by a sneered, or partially sheered, flywheel pin. Or, it could also be a valve problem in which one of both of the valves are not always seating properly. However, when I replaced the head gasket, I throughly cleaned the head and the cover including the valve seats. I also used Seafoam gas additive to clear out any remaining carbon deposits on the valve seats. The mower actually seemed to ran a little better after the Seafoam treatment, but it still backfires when I engage the mower deck.

I am looking for guidance on where I should look next. Or are there other possible causes that I should investigate, before I pull the head off again to inspect the valves or before I pull the flywheel to inspect and replace the pin. I will appreciate any advice from those of you that are likely far more experienced with small engine repair than am I.

Threads
Wow I am surprised that no one responded yet.............

Ok either your valves are not adjusted right OR the valve guide or guides are out of place....... Try to adjust your valves at 4 thou..........

If that doesn't do the trick then you may have to pop the head off again and check the guides........

You don't have to take the flywheel off to check the key....... Just make sure that the key is in the slot of the shaft and the slot of the flywheel....

A lot of people think that they see a half of a key that they are OK..... NOPE...........

Ok let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

TWHguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestions to my friend from Eunice, LA. I reset both valve clearances to 4000th. I also checked to make sure that the push rods were both extending equally. They both appear to be. Unfortunately, no improvement. I think that the problem may be worn cam lobes as you also suggested. I will let you if that turns out to be the problem. Thanks for all of your help! TWHguy

Threads
Pull the head first to make sure your valve guides are in place the right way...........

Tinkerer200

Threads
Hmm, never had to pull the head to check position of valve guides. Valve guides should extend ~ 1/8 inch above head casting on valve cover side.

Walt Conner