Mower deck General Question about the hose connection on walking mower deck. Ty in advance.

jepda

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / General Question about the hose connection on walking mower deck. Ty in advance.
I have a neighbor that is saying that his mower runs like the day it was purchased, he says 2006. Were the hose connection clean outs on mowers in 2006? His has one.

Thanks! jack ":-Dx

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / General Question about the hose connection on walking mower deck. Ty in advance.
Not all mowers have one. I like using mine, but many around here swear against them.

jepda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not all mowers have one. I like using mine, but many around here swear against them.

I've picked up on that, the clean ports having negative reviews. But for years I'd take my old mower to the driveway, have it running and squirt a stead stream aimed under the mower and flashing up into the running blaces and it cleaned it well.

I wish I knew when they first appeared. Thanks for you info.
jack ":-Dx

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
They've been around for a long time. At least 20 years.

jepda

Forum Newbie
Threads
They've been around for a long time. At least 20 years.

Thanks much! Then the neighbor might be up and up about the mower being 12yo. Certainly doesn't appear that old. Thanks Jack ":-Dx

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've picked up on that, the clean ports having negative reviews. But for years I'd take my old mower to the driveway, have it running and squirt a stead stream aimed under the mower and flashing up into the running blaces and it cleaned it well.

I wish I knew when they first appeared. Thanks for you info.
jack ":-Dx

The problem is owners who do not run the machine for long enough to get rid of the water or take the mower off the grass where they washed in and onto a hard dry surface to dry off.
The wash out ports work really well for under the deck, if used every time so you don't end up with grass cakes under the deck.
The top f most decks is not self draining so when hosed down the water sits on there and rusts out the deck.
People forget that the blades are spinning when you use the wash out ports so it is both air and water cleaning.
On to of the deck, the grass is generally drier and responds to plain air a lot better.