trying to freshen up a tired 12 hp L-head Briggs

Rideau1

Threads
I recently purchased an Ariens YT-12 Hydro for an elderly friend.
The engine smoked some when started. I did a compression test on it with 55-60lbs.
The unit is model 281707 type 0143-01 code 8804131
I would like to "freshen up the engine. I thought maybe rings and a valve seating plus gaskets. I know that it is hard to speculate without opening it up. I will be doing that before long. What do you think?
I have never done this type of work before but have always wanted to and have tools (cylinder de-glazing hone, valve spring compressor etc) which I bought from Rock Auto.
Are chrome rings the best choice? I know that it has a cast iron cylinder liner. Where can I find parts like rings, gaskets etc?
Do rings come with installation instructions?
Lots of questions thanks for your input.

Threads
If the smoke clears after a few minutes then you are in good shape.... That 60 PSI is great because of the comp release built into the cam....

But if you do want freshen it up and get some engine tear down under your belt, then by all means we will assist you in your efforts.....

Plus Tard moi Canadian Couzan >>>>>>>

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Do rings come with installation instructions? Lots of questions thanks for your input."

Ring instructions Only as to arrangement. I can send you a Service Manual (Overhaul manual) for your engine if you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently purchased an Ariens YT-12 Hydro for an elderly friend.
The engine smoked some when started. I did a compression test on it with 55-60lbs.
The unit is model 281707 type 0143-01 code 8804131
I would like to "freshen up the engine. I thought maybe rings and a valve seating plus gaskets. I know that it is hard to speculate without opening it up. I will be doing that before long. What do you think?
I have never done this type of work before but have always wanted to and have tools (cylinder de-glazing hone, valve spring compressor etc) which I bought from Rock Auto.
Are chrome rings the best choice? I know that it has a cast iron cylinder liner. Where can I find parts like rings, gaskets etc?
Do rings come with installation instructions?
Lots of questions thanks for your input.

I've had good luck with these two; there are many others. The first was able to find the everything I needed to overhaul a 1965 Briggs 3 hp, including replacement valve guides, which the original engine did not have.

https://www.smallenginepartssuppliers.com/index.htm
https://lawnparts.com/