Not such a great start --

bullrider

Threads
Yes.
Carbide tooling was only used on very profitable defence & aerospace products till well into the 80's and in many instances the 90's
HSS & High carbon tooling changes size every time it is used so the run of parts starts off being tight with a new tool then gradually goes to out of spec when it gets replaced with a nice new sharp tool.
Seems I read once that there was a guy who worked at the Triumph motorcycle plant in England long ago. He was an old guy who was the only one who knew how to keep the old equipment operating within acceptable tolerances. When he retired they released a bunch of motorcycles where the engines either burned lots of oil or else they seized up because they were too 'tight'. It almost put them out of business.

bullrider

Threads
Update on getting my Cub Cadet back

Called the Cub dealer this AM. Seems the new engine is installed but they broke some kind of clip for the fuel line in the process and they had to order another. Should have it back by early in the coming week. Still not anywhere near as bad as I'd feared for having to have a whole engine replacement. I am not worried that the new engine will have the same problem - seems like the issue my first engine had is not something the dealer has encountered even occasionally. Nobody said 'oh, we've had a couple like this one...' The situation hit them as something they seemed to not be accustomed to seeing.

bullrider

Threads
Still waiting!

Still don't have my Cub Cadet back. The new replacement engine arrived at the dealer on the Friday after I brought in the tractor (the prior Saturday) so that happened very fast and I was encouraged. Unfortunately some plastic piece from the fuel system is broken or got broken, and we're waiting for THAT to arrive. A new engine gets there in 3 days, a plastic fuel line part takes a couple of weeks. So far.

bullrider

Threads
Back in business

Checked with the Cub dealer Friday, they said the tractor was ready, I went and picked it up Sat AM. It runs NICE, and quiet and smooth - much better IMO that it did with the original engine that blew up. I should be in business going forward. Maybe I can get a few years out of it before it breaks from some other reason but I don't expect the engine to self destruct again.

DK35vince

Threads
I doubt that the engine in my Cub will ever stand up like the one in my 1972 Wheel Horse - a 10hp Kohler single that still doesn't use oil and runs like a champ.
Our 1978 Wheel Horse C-101 with 10 HP Kohler also still runs fine and uses no oil.

bullrider

Threads
Our 1978 Wheel Horse C-101 with 10 HP Kohler also still runs fine and uses no oil.

Those old engines were not made with anything in mind but longevity. Lots of 50 year old Wheel Horses etc still out there chugging away!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Those old engines were not made with anything in mind but longevity. Lots of 50 year old Wheel Horses etc still out there chugging away!

Back then the market was prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a quality item so there was reasonable profit in making mowers of good quality.
But people are greedy and always want more for less, profit margins got squeezed and thus the quality dropped like a stone.
On top of that people can not think about prices, all they remember are numbers so if a mower was $ 1000 in 1980 they expect better in 2018 for the same $ 1000 which when adjusted for inflation is about $ 400..
The idea of converting to real cost ( hours of your labour ) is apparently way too difficult for most to understand.
Back in the 60's 70's & 80's you had to take out finance to buy a ride on mower, now days you just pop it on the card.
In fact in the 60's we had to take out finance to buy our push mower and pay it off over 3 years.
We still have that mower and the only major work done to it was to convert the blade disc to take modern blades.
My sister who is over 70 still uses it to mow the common area around her home unit ( flat or condo to some )

DK35vince

Threads
Well I bought that 1978 Wheel Horse used in excellent condition in 1986 (32 years ago) for $1100. We still have it.
My 2013 Hustler Super Z 72" (35 HP) with flex forks was just under $12,000 OTD. Certainly wasn't cheap.
But it is very well built and should last us many years. The thing still impresses me how fast it will mow.