John Deere 425. Seems like the brakes are partially on all of the time.

Bob 602

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 425. Seems like the brakes are partially on all of the time.
Hello: I own a John Deere 425 mower. When I operate it, the brakes seem to be on all of the time. As I drive I hit the brake pedal and the brakes operate normally. So it leads me to believe that something is binding up in the transaxle. The mower blades don't turn either.
I was hoping some else may have had a similar problem. I didn't want to tear the transaxle apart just for exercise. Thanks in advance. B0b602

dfbroxy

Threads
Try checking the hydrolic fluid. It could be that the two problems are related. Then check the linkage for the forward and reverse pedal. Lets eliminate all other possibilits before the trans.

dfbroxy

Threads
Try checking the hydrolic fluid. It could be that the two problems are related. Then check the linkage for the forward and reverse pedal. Lets eliminate all other possibilits before the trans.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once again, I strongly advise you to buy the JD technical Manual.
Not cheap but less than 1 hour of workshop time so very good value for money
from the manual here is the theory of the brakes
THEORY OF OPERATION
BRAKE SYSTEM OPERATION
NOTE: See COMPONENT LOCATION.
Function:
Provide a means of stopping the tractor and also prevent movement when not in use.
System Operation:
When the brake pedal is depressed, the brake spring retainer is pulled forward. The brake spring is compressed and spring tension pulls the brake rods and the brake arm and cam forward. As the brake arm and cam rotates, the cam plate rotates, rolling three balls up a ramp. When the balls move up the ramp, the cam plate pushes against the brake plates, forcing the brake plates and brake discs together.
The brake plates are attached to the transaxle housing through external tangs on the plates. The brake plates cannot rotate. Brake discs that are splined to the reduction shaft are located between the brake plates. The brake discs rotate whenever the reduction shaft rotates. The pressure of the brake plates against the brake discs stops the reduction shaft rotation.
At the same time the brake arm and cam is engaged, the differential lock is also engaged to provide braking to both rear wheels. The brake arm and cam pushes the difflock link and arm rearward. The difflock shaft and fork move into the transaxle and engage the difflock pins to lock both axles together.
When the brake pedal is released, the brake return spring pulls the brake pedal and linkage to the disengaged position. The linkage pulls the cam plate away, releasing the pressure against the plates and disk.
The brake pedal can be locked in the engaged position to be used as a parking brake. When the park brake rod is engaged, the park brake pawl contacts a tab on the brake pedal to hold the pedal in the engaged position.

From that you will gleen that if it is sticky or dirty the brake cam can fail to return to the fully off position.
Also the brakes are internal so unless the linkages are your problem , it is split the axel time.

Parts breakdowns can also be purchased from JD or you can download them 1 section at a time from the JD web page.
The PTO clutches are also inside the transaxel so it looks like deep diving time.
I have a bad copy of the manual with a lot of the diagrams missing.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.