what zero turn to buy

ronny2

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to this site. I've decided to buy a zero turn mower. I mow 4-5 acres once a week. I want something solid and will last... and, of course affordable. I've been researching and have learned of way more mower companies than I could have ever thought existed. Where my research has landed me is - In information overload! I'm no closer to a decision now from when I started. My main problem is that there is no ONE STOP SHOP to review these. There are dealers close by me for everything: Bad Boy, Big Dog, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Ferris, Scag, et al.. then of course the big box stores with Cubs, Torros JD's etc... Any suggestions??? PLEASE?? I'm not biased toward any brand, except I'm not buying the mass produced, big box, stamped mowers like cub or JD, MTD, etc
Thanks for any and all advice!

rccsofla

Threads
I know what you mean.A lot of research before buying mine too.Ended up with a Ferris.Liked the idea that everything is greasable and the shocks really do help.No regrets so far.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
I’m in the same boat... Hustlers are big around here... I’m looking at the 72” X-One with the Kohler EFI...

$8600 OTD... But I’m pushing 8 acres...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Everyone here has their favorite brands, so you will get a variety of suggestions. For the amount of cutting you are doing, I would suggest the higher end Toro’s or the Kubota ZD series. From my experience, this is where you will get the best quality for price. If you can cut your search to a few brands, it would help us help you. To start narrowing it down, look only for these three things. Fabricated deck and size, range of horse power I suggest 20hp at a minimum and what is your price range. After you have got it narrowed down a little post back and we can give you better suggestions.

tbzep

Threads
Decide on your dealer and the rest will be easy. Your average Scag, Gravely, eXmark, Ferris, Big Dog, Hustler, etc. are all going to be good machines with only minor differences that come down to personal preference. Ferris does have some suspended units making them a little different, but for the most part they are all similar and solid machines. It is important to have good dealer support that isn't too far away. You don't want to have to travel 100 miles to get a spring or switch that broke under warranty just because you saved $50 on the initial purchase.

Decide how big a deck you can use without issues of storage or mowing between objects. Decide how much you can afford. Find a good dealer. The rest will fall into place. Once you narrow it down to those good local dealers, we can help you a little, but only you can decide how your butt feels in the seat.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been told Hustler owns Big Dog, Just adding my .02

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is nothing on the market that I have seen that will out cut a Tiger Cat Sag. I have Three Tiger Cats and just bought a Tiger Cat II. Kawasaki 22 HP with a 52" deck is an incredible piece of equipment with many, many years of value.

I cut about 100 properties every 2 weeks from 15 or so acres down, in Lower Alabama most of which are Bahia Grass. Nothing I have found on the market will cut Bahia Grass with one.

We ran a ZD Kubota and a 200 Series ZG Kubota. neither of which will touch the Tiger Cat with the Velocity Decks.

If you want prestige buy a Kubota. If you want to cut grass get a Scag.

We see numerous other brands of mowers work on a very regular basis. The reliability and quality of cut is not matched.

We have cut Bahia Grass and people would sit and watch and wait till we went to the other end of the properties and then walk out and move the trimmings over with their foot and shake their heads in disbelief that a mower would cut that in one pass.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buy the one that you like best that is within your budget.

Find the ones that are within your budget. Then go visit a dealer selling the model you're looking at. Listen to their spiels, but don't take them as gospel. If they'll let you, mow a little with the one you're looking at. Do this until you've looked at all the brands/models within your budget.

You ought to be able to figure out which one you like best.

Don't let someone else decide for you. What they like, you may not.

Don't let Analysis Paralysis set in, either. When you get down to the final three or four, disregard price and ask yourself which one you'd select if they were all free for the asking.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that a lot of the decision should be based on having a good dealer. I love my Exmarks but switched to Bob-Cat due to dealer location and level of service. Spartan seems to have a pretty good presence in your state and they're probably the best bang for the buck. But they're a pretty new brand and their future isn't certain. Certainly worth adding to you list if you have a nearby dealer though.

https://spartanmowers.com/mower/rt/

DK35vince

Threads
I have been told Hustler owns Big Dog, Just adding my .02
They do. (Both are made by Excel Ind.)
I've owned 2 Hustler zero turns to mow my 8 acre lawn.
A 2008 FastTrak 54" for 4 years, then upsized/upgraded to a 2013 Hustler Super Z 72" (35 HP Kawaski)
Never a single issue.
The Super Z is a mowing machine. The thing will mow awesome fast and gets it done quick.