John Deere 652R mowers won't restart after using them

MarloM

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 652R mowers won't restart after using them
I have two (2) 652R John Deere stand on mowers that after running a while and turning them off, they will not restart. You turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. There seems to be a heat or timer issue as after 15 to 20 mins, they will start with no problem. I know there are switches everywhere, including PTO, brake handle, and the step, but they don't appear to be related to this issue. The John Deere dealership just said bring them in and we'll check them out. I'm not sure how they would diagnose this sporadic issue. Any insights anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks,

Luffydog

Threads
Your pto switch is a safety switch not only does it power up your pto but it also is used for operators presents which is a safety switch. After checking for good ground on the block and battery if ground is good I would replace the pto switch and if it keeps doing it and you have to keep replacing the switch put a clutch on it. Clutch pulls current current causes heat heat causes failure. In the switch and then in your charging system which is stator,regulator,fuses. Replace switch and go from there.

MarloM

Forum Newbie
Threads
After visiting the John Deere dealer and talking to the service tech it is apparent the PTO knob switches are very problematic. I put a new one on my mower last night and it started right up. Time will tell. I had already replaced them once within the 2yr warranty and now I'm one year out of the warranty. He said some of the commercial mower guys are replacing that switch every month. He did say that JD engineering is looking to re-engineer the pull knob PTO to a rocker switch. I guess the new mowers have it already. Thanks for the response!