Husqvarna R214TC

Bogart

Threads
Have Husqvarna R214TC with BS Intek series V twin engine. Has the habit most times after I switch it off there is a loud bang like a backfire. This can happen up to 10 seconds after switching off. Not unduly worried as the demo machine I had before buying one did exactly the same. Is this a trait of these engines or am I doing something wrong. I always let it idle before switching off.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
because of moronic EPA regulations the new engines run really hot and some even have afterburners built into the mufflers.

When you turn the engine off, fuel gets sucked into the cylinder & blown out the exhaust.
When the ratio of fuel & air gets correct for burning at atmospheric temperature and an ignition source is available ( said afterburner ) it burns or in your case goes bang

On the bottom of the carb is a little solenoid that jambs a bung up the main jet to stop the fuel being sucked through the carb.

It is an EPA requirement in some places & big fines for not having it functioning.

OTOH just turn the engine down to a low speed immediately before you turn it off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
NOT to worry ......... my 17.5 Briggs ALWAYS does that, even with a good working solenoid, Great for scaring the hell outa the neigbors cats though !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Threads
Yes I love scaring the feral cats around my house too...... Just idle the mower for at least 10 seconds then hit the kill switch .........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just for the animal lovers out there, we have 3 INDOOR ONLY cats, 2 of which used to be ferals. and as most cats ........... %$#@#$@&^$##$ spoiled as hell.

Threads
For some reason the I get a lot of people bringing me Anti Back Fire solenoids on Kohler engines, I keep the plain bowl nuts in stock and tell them to idle them down for 10 seconds then shut the engine off....

Never had a complaint... Oh BTW they always turn their fuel valve off afterwards.......

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For some reason the I get a lot of people bringing me Anti Back Fire solenoids on Kohler engines, I keep the plain bowl nuts in stock and tell them to idle them down for 10 seconds then shut the engine off....

Never had a complaint... Oh BTW they always turn their fuel valve off afterwards.......

Kohlers are supposed to be shut off at full throttle to prevent afterfire since the way the kohler carbs are set up the solenoid doesn't shut off the fuel through the idle circuit of the carb. Are that is what Kohler recommends anyway.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohlers are supposed to be shut off at full throttle to prevent afterfire since the way the kohler carbs are set up the solenoid doesn't shut off the fuel through the idle circuit of the carb. Are that is what Kohler recommends anyway.

I have read SOMEWHERE ..?? that on the Briggs single cylinder OHV engines, IF you have the room to do so, if you change the muffler configuration, ( those that mount almost at the exhaust port are most notorious for the "Bang" ) by moving the muffler further away, like some models have the muffler located down in front of the engine in between the frame rails, it helps or entirely eliminates the Bang, some model mowers come this way.

Found some example pics,... l67.jpg.. (typical Banger type behind heat-shield)

Semi-remote models, ... b65.jpg..IMG_0241_zps8445a047.jpg..00I0I_jdfVrNRHlPP_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo, There may be some truth to the muffler further away from the heat source to help prevent afterfire. Have a customer with a Toro that always afterfired on shutoff didn't matter what you did. A few years ago it dropped a valve and damaged the head and piston. Replaced with a new engine, but used the old muffler from the prior engine, and on the first shut off after mowing. Bang. So the muffler can and will have something to do with the afterfire effect. Had a MTD several years ago in the shop that had the same issue, Replaced the muffler and no more afterfire.

In some cases even if the gas/air mix goes from the carb through the engine into the muffler, there may not be enough oxygen to ignite it until the muffler has had enough time for oxygen infiltration into the exhaust port to ignite the fuel. And today's hotter running engines just seem to make the problem worse.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boo, There may be some truth to the muffler further away from the heat source to help prevent afterfire. Have a customer with a Toro that always afterfired on shutoff didn't matter what you did. A few years ago it dropped a valve and damaged the head and piston. Replaced with a new engine, but used the old muffler from the prior engine, and on the first shut off after mowing. Bang. So the muffler can and will have something to do with the afterfire effect. Had a MTD several years ago in the shop that had the same issue, Replaced the muffler and no more afterfire.

In some cases even if the gas/air mix goes from the carb through the engine into the muffler, there may not be enough oxygen to ignite it until the muffler has had enough time for oxygen infiltration into the exhaust port to ignite the fuel. And today's hotter running engines just seem to make the problem worse.

Good info. there IL, I've so far only heard 1 model with the "remote" type, NO bang at shut-down, high OR low rpms. I was considering the modification myself, but cost, put the "Jahidas" on that idea ! .. :thumbdown: