Is There A Fix for This?

Berniebac

Threads
I have a Briggs 14.5 HP, Model 287707, Type 0224-01, Code 970117ZD. The engine had a drain tube installed that extended the drain for the motor oil out past the frame of the tractor. I went to change the oil in the engine and when I turned the cap on the drain tube, the tube turned sideways and broke free from the engine. I do not see this drain tube on the illustrated parts list, so I wonder if it was added to the engine for convenience of draining the oil. My parts list also does not show a drain plug where the drain tube goes into the side of the engine.

Is there a repair for this break? I do have threads that continue into the engine so I might be able to thread the tube further into the existing threads, but I think the housing where the oil comes out of the engine will prevent it. Is there a drain plug made that I might possibly be able to thread, into the threads, that remain inside the housing?

Is it the type of repair that J B Weld might be used?

Attachments

• OilDrain1.JPG
    OilDrain1.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 16
  • OilDrain2.JPG
    OilDrain2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
  • OilDrain3.JPG
    OilDrain3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 14
  • OilDrain4.jpg
    OilDrain4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
  • OilDrain5.JPG
    OilDrain5.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 8

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe that is a pipe thread, 1/4" or 1/8" npt.
You might get a plumber or machine shop to thread you a nipple a but smaller than normal so as to be able to thread it in
deeper to the good threads.
As it is not a highly stressed joint, JB weld, used in addition to the above might do it for you.
Make sure you get all the oil off the block, or the JB won't stick.
The joint may suffer from engine vibration, so engaging the deeper threads would help.

You may also tap the tapered hole a bit deeper as well, but you must be careful not to fracture the block.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Briggs 14.5 HP, Model 287707, Type 0224-01, Code 970117ZD. The engine had a drain tube installed that extended the drain for the motor oil out past the frame of the tractor. I went to change the oil in the engine and when I turned the cap on the drain tube, the tube turned sideways and broke free from the engine. I do not see this drain tube on the illustrated parts list, so I wonder if it was added to the engine for convenience of draining the oil. My parts list also does not show a drain plug where the drain tube goes into the side of the engine.

Is there a repair for this break? I do have threads that continue into the engine so I might be able to thread the tube further into the existing threads, but I think the housing where the oil comes out of the engine will prevent it. Is there a drain plug made that I might possibly be able to thread, into the threads, that remain inside the housing?

Is it the type of repair that J B Weld might be used?

Seen this a few times, that's what happens when you DON'T use a "backing-wrench" ( I use a 6 inch, "pipe-wrench" ) on the nipple when removing or installing the end-cap, it looks as if there are enough threads to put in another nipple, things must be CLEAN, do not OVERTIGHTEN, could put a small amount of RTV sealant on threads (NOT near the starting end though) once nipple is in snug, wrap it with some masking tape so you don't get it on the nipple, then apply your J-B weld or Aluminum putty, peel off the tape as the putty is beginning to firm.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Forgot,...... the drain-plug, nipple, and cap is regular pipe thread, therefore, available at MOST hardware stores take the broken piece with you to size it up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe that is a pipe thread, 1/4" or 1/8" npt.
You might get a plumber or machine shop to thread you a nipple a but smaller than normal so as to be able to thread it in
deeper to the good threads.
As it is not a highly stressed joint, JB weld, used in addition to the above might do it for you.
Make sure you get all the oil off the block, or the JB won't stick.
The joint may suffer from engine vibration, so engaging the deeper threads would help.

You may also tap the tapered hole a bit deeper as well, but you must be careful not to fracture the block.

I was thinking 3/8 NPT

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgot,...... the drain-plug, nipple, and cap is regular pipe thread, therefore, available at MOST hardware stores take the broken piece with you to size it up.

Methinks that the nipple is OK, once you remove the broken piece of casting.
It would help if the threads were turned down a bit,tho............

Berniebac

Threads
Yes the nipple is fine. It is just that it broke the aluminum out of the engine block.

As suggested above, having a longer threaded end on the nipple might be all that is needed to get it to go into the housing a little further.

I did use a set of vice grips on the pipe when turning the cap off but it sure seemed like it broke away from the housing very easily.

I appreciate your suggestions and I think I will try a combination of a little longer threaded nipple and some JB Weld to put the broken piece back on. I can't see any moving parts inside the engine that would be affected by having the nipple thread into the housing a little deeper.

That nipple is 1/2" inside diameter and I know a shop that threads them so they might be able to help me out by extending the threads.

Thanks so much for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a bayont type valve for the end of the drain tube.
They are a std after market part fitted by a lot of mower makers.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
In picture #5, you can see a passage that may be blocked by a threaded pipe which extends further into the engine.

If the engine has access to use a vacuum oil extractor, I'd put a brass plug into that damaged hole and never take it out again.

Berniebac

Threads
Get a bayont type valve for the end of the drain tube.
They are a std after market part fitted by a lot of mower makers.

Do you mean "bayonet" valve? Just wanted to make sure I search for the correct thing.