Parts to keep from a blown up Kohler Command for nearly identical engine?

cmw

Threads
  • / Parts to keep from a blown up Kohler Command for nearly identical engine?
I was using a little 12.5 HP Command CV12.5S to run an old riding mower with no deck to pull logs and haul small karts of firewood out of the woods. The engine had been neglected before I got it and it ground to a halt as I was pulling a pretty hefty load. I got the feeling it was in the valve train after removing the valve cover and finding one of the valve springs compressed. I finally pulled head off and suspicions were confirmed. The valve snapped off of the stem and was turned sideways in the head. The valve seat was also busted apart and rattling around in the cylinder. The piston was deeply gashed and likely compromised. It was the intake valve if that matters.

Anyway, I had another 9HP version of this same engine that I swapped onto that old mower. The model of this one is a CV12.5S-9 or something like that so obviously closely related. They look basically identical. Since I am not running a deck I barely notice the reduction in HP and this isn't really a concern to me. It came to me in some junk and was missing the starter and carburetor. Those from the blown motor swapped right over so I am up and going. I figure that the old motor isn't worth keeping at this point but wanted to pull parts that might fail or be useful since I have a nearly identical unit. What would you keep if you were in this situation? The pushrods and rocker arms look fine so I will keep those. All the hardware from the head and such will be kept.

How about the flywheel and stator? Are these parts that sometimes fail or would that just be extra junk sitting around? The crank and connecting rod are likely fine as well and the engine spins freely with the head removed and the debris no longer obstructing the motion of the piston.

What would YOU keep if this was your engine?

Thanks,

Conor