Clutch pedal not working

Nick0187

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up a yard machine riding lawn mower (mtd 13ad698g300). When I push the pedal to disengage the drive it does not work. This is also creating a large strain on starting the engine which is concerning me. Can anybody help me out? It does have the hyrdrostatic trans. It drives fine and I can switch between speeds and F-N-R just fine.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Edit- post removed as it appears that it had erroneous information in it based on Bert's reply below.

Last edited:

Nick0187

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh.. well that makes more sense. My old mower had a clutch in it. It is very hard to start so I thought it had something to do with that. Even with a full battery the engine barely cranks and it hard to start because of it

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd have the battery tested or just replace it. Or the starter could be shot and drawing too hard. I'd start with the battery. Number 1 reason for cranking too slowly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had to read your message a few times to make sure I was understanding. If your mower has a hydrostatic drive the only clutch on it is for the blades. That would either be electric or hand operated. Are you talking about the parking brake? But that wouldn't have effect starting the engine. Or are you saying that the blades are spinning all of the time?

Every tractor style mower has a clutch in the drive system.
Remove the battery & deck then sit the mower on its bum.
Under the mower you should see the drive belt that goes through a pair of pulleys on one side.
These pulleys are on a lever with a spring that puts tension on the drive belt.
When you press the COMBINED CLUTCH & BRAKE PEDAL it should pull against the tension spring allowing the belt to slip.

Check the belt run .
check that debris is not stopping the COMBINED CLUTCH & BRAKE PEDAL for retracting fully.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I stand corrected and will defer to Bert on the manner.

Nick0187

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ll take a look Friday and see what I can find, I’ll take a few pictures if needed. When I look underneath the pedal appears to be connected to 2 rods on the right side, both of which go to the rear. I don’t see anything obviously connecting to a pulley.