exmark lazer z hp clutch removal

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unplug. Loosen bolt. Slide off. Install New. Plug in.

Do you have access to an impact wrench?

cruzenmike

Threads
I recommend taking a picture of the existing clutch before you remove it.

The easiest way to remove the clutch is to:

1) Disconnect battery connections
2) Safely get the mower off of the ground at least 6-10 inches (I used a jack to get the rear end off of the ground while the front wheels were chocked so that it would not roll off on me)
3) Carefully locate the electrical connection for the PTO clutch near the frame next to the engine, separate and feed the wire through the frame towards the underside of the mower
4) Relieve the tension on the deck belt and remove the belt from the clutch pulley
5) Using an impact gun and the the correct size socket, hold the clutch and remove the bolt beneath the clutch and slide the clutch off of the engine shaft.

To install the new clutch:

1) Align key-way of clutch with engine shaft and slide up onto the shaft being sure that the rod that holds the clutch in place is positioned in the hole/notch on the side of the clutch housing
2) While holding the clutch in place, start the bolt that holds the clutch on the engine shaft by hand until it grabs on the shaft (remember to include the washers that are provided with the new PTO clutch. Also, the bolt should have blue Loctite thread-locker on it)
3) Once tightened down to the appropriate torque (around 150ft lbs?), reattach the mower mower belt (it may be easier to remove the belt from a deck pulley and to place on the clutch loosely and then pull back onto a deck pulley)
4) Feed the electrical connection for the PTO clutch back through the mower frame, add di-electric grease to the connection and re-attach.
5) Make sure that the clutch housing does not spin on the shaft (being held in place by the belt rod) and then check that the belt moves freely along the various pulleys and is not bound up anywhere
6) Carefully lower mower back down to the ground, reattach battery connections and give the new clutch a try.

I may be missing something, but this is all I recall doing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong....

Mike

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice detailed instructions. Sounds right to me. The problem is that if you don't have an impact wrench it can be difficult to get the bolt off. There is a technique for that. The old rope in the plug hole trick. Holding the flywheel isn't a good idea. The hardest part is getting that bolt off. The rest is easy. And did you say to blow or brush everything off good first. That's a good place to start unless you want crud in your eyes.