B&S 800 Series 8hp Engine Won't Run

meestahmarc

Threads
I am trying to get my BS 800 Series engine running on my DR Power Lawn Aerator. I would call myself a newbie (sort of - and being humble).

This is where I am at... last night inspected the engine - gas and oil are both good. Gas was from the seller, but is fresh - not sure what grade it is.

Checked the plug and it looked clean.

I checked the choke (with the air filter off) and that looked good - the little plate inside the carb is moving as it should. I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner.

I detached the fuel line going into the carb, turned it on fuel flow and made sure fuel was flowing.

I put some starter fluid into the carb, several times, and it would run for 5-15 seconds at a time and basically just stall out. I managed to run it enough to get the exhaust very hot.

Questions:
What else should I consider?
There is a throttle near the choke, but I do not see what moves that - not connected to the choke and doesnt move when I change the engine speed lever, is this normal?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
PLEASE post your engine info, (usually found right on the engine) see EXAMPLE ....

GET INFO.JPG

sounds like you may have a carburetor issue, as far as the linkage, please try to post some close-up pics, there are HUNDREDS of linkage set-ups on these engines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the carb off, turn it sideways and blow air through it.
If it is working you will see the fuel droplets coming out the engine end of the carb.
One of those vacuums that blows high volume /low pressure air works best or the cheap blower type paint sprayers.
Originally I used a dunny roll center with my compressor set to its lowest setting .
You have to be suffering from a fuel delivery problem and it has to be the main jet as a blocked idle circuit will get bypassed when you spray starter fluid down the carb.

If your engine has one of those plastic plates on the choke, make sure that it holds the choke open when the engine is running.
I have replaced a few old carbs because the spring or plastic plate was weak and allowing the choke to close thus suffocating the engine as soon as it starts to pick up revs.

meestahmarc

Threads
berts, thanks for your reply. Not really sure I understand you fully...

meestahmarc

Threads
are you suggesting that it is the main jet b/c the engine is running with the starter fluid... so spark is good, engine is good, etc?

meestahmarc

Threads
I fixed it...the carb was all gummed up. No fuel was flowing from the line into the carb.

I took off the carb, cleaned up, cleaned up the float needle and bang, starts on the first pull.

DR Power Lawn Aerator, awesome machine - pulls really nice plugs from the lawn and pretty easy to handle. Very happy.