Briggs Quantum muffler question

Vinnie S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs 6 HP Quantum on a Craftsman from 1999 (19 years old). The engine had been bulletproof. I can't believe they stopped making these engines.

Anyway, I have the original muffler in it. The engine sounds normal as it usually does. Is it time to replace the muffler? How long do they typically last?

Russ2251

Threads
Can be used until they no longer do their job.
Not unusual to out last an engine. If left out in the elements, they rust out before their time.

Vinnie S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can be used until they no longer do their job.
Not unusual to out last an engine. If left out in the elements, they rust out before their time.

Thanks. Been in a shed its entire life.

How are the new OHV engines compared to the Quantum, especially reliability? I have hesitated to buy a new one because the Quantum seems indestructible.

primerbulb120

Threads
The Briggs mufflers have a coating on them that keeps them from rusting unless it gets scraped or damaged. Unless it starts getting louder or it's very rusty, there's nothing to worry about.

Buster7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a similar engine 21602 except it's an Intek 6.75 and I have been finding that the three muffler variations that fit my mower have all been discontinued. You can still find NOS but my advice is if you see a muffler that fits, go ahead and get one just to have as a spare because it may not be readily available in the future.

Threads
Vinnie if you can't find one I have some in stock...... Used but look brand new............