Ring test

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, not at all.
There is no correlation between torque and wear.

I see what you're saying. Once two metal surfaces make contact, torquing me more, isn't going to tighten the bearing surface. Correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well thanks for that. I suppose if I get any deeper into this stuff, I'm gonna have to get a ring compressor. BTW, about removing the piston, obviously on a used rod, the bearing surface is going to be worn, so I'm guessing the torgue (on reinstall) would be different, correct?

Definately not.
Overtightening the con rod bolts will distort the hole and make it oval which will pinch the crank in only 1 or 2 places wear rapidly and break in a very short time.
There is no way to compensate for wear on a direct running con rod so you toss them out & replace them if they are out of spec, the last one I bought down here was around $ 30 Aus

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm surprised no-one has asked for PT to post his machine's info, with that, I'm sure someone could have sent him an O/H Manual which USUALLY contains all the information he seeks but may also require a separate engine Spec's sheet.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm surprised no-one has asked for PT to post his machine's info, with that, I'm sure someone could have sent him an O/H Manual which USUALLY contains all the information he seeks but may also require a separate engine Spec's sheet.

I don't have one that's actually mine. LOL.. I buy'm cheap, fix'm, use'm a little (to test them out) and sell them. If I need anything mowed, I use what I just fixed. Sort of a test drive to try and see if everything is in working order before I post it for sale.

I do have some regular customers that bring their equipment for me to work on. But it's not anything major. Anything I don't feel comfortable with fixing, I send to the shop in town. He's a guru at this stuff. In fact, Instead of buying all my parts online cheaper, I try to buy most of it from him, just for the tips and tricks he passes along to me now and then.