Toro Recycler, Super Recycler, Ariens Razor, or Honda

bozack

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Recycler, Super Recycler, Ariens Razor, or Honda
Hi All

I am looking to buy a new walk behind mower, I have a super small plot of land, less than half an acre and most of it is conservation which I can't touch, which really just leaves a front yard and a landing strip for the back, want to buy a new walk behind mower and wondering what folks thought was the best I could do for under $800.

Was originally looking at the super recycler with the striping kit but then saw the Ariens/Gravely Razor....not sure if the Toro is better with the aluminum deck, and also see a lot of reviews recommend the steel smart stow??

Also looking at the Honda, though only place I can get that is the depot near me and I'd rather shop at a smaller HW store if possible.

Any opinions appreciated thanks!

k9luvr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Toro 21" aluminum deck Super Recycler with Personal Pace. I have had it for seven years. It's the best self propelled mower I've owned. It does a good job of recycling and gives your yard a manicured look. The aluminum deck makes it a bit lighter. I had a problem initially the deck was warped and had to be replaced.

Nothing compares to the Personal Pace self propel system. If you slow down, it slows down. If you walk faster, it speeds up. There is no stopping and changing speeds like other mowers. There is no clutch handle to keep depressed to give you a hand cramp for holding it so long. It has worked flawlessly. A few people say it is hard to pull backwards. That's only if you don't know how to use it. It has a transmission forward lock feature, so when you want to pull it backward all you need to do is an abrupt stop and pull slightly backward on the handlebar while it is still going forward. You will feel it click. This disengages the forward transmission lock and it pulls backward easily. It's a little stiff when new but loosens up after use. After you get the hang of it you don't even have to think about it.

Changing from mulching to side discharge to bagging is very quick and easy.

If I were buying a self propelled mower again, I would buy this same model.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If some one can find a better all around mower than the Toro model 20381, I’d really like to see it. At $600 it is worth every penny.

keith204

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 10 year old Toro 20092 Personal Pace Super Recycler that won't die. Bought it when I was in my 20's and stupid (in other words, I left it outside in the ice and snow without being prepared)

A couple weeks ago my wife pulled it out of the shed w/ last year's gas still in it, pulled it 3 times, vroom. Like always. It somehow works. Always. The mower is a freak and it is awesome.

As for maintenance, I've done 2 or 3 tune-ups. They're cheap and easy. I also periodically tighten the wheels every couple years.

Personal pace is super natural.

puspunta

Forum Newbie
Threads
They are amazing. I got one for my mom (Toro) last year for Mother's day because she wanted a push mower to get exercise while mowing but she's getting older. It starts very easily and is the best self-propelled mower I've ever used. You'll like it a lot.

lagerstout

Forum Newbie
Threads
How does the cut quality of a Super Recycler compare to the HRR216 or HRX217? I've had a HRR216VKA for a few years now but want to upgrade to a model with more bells and whistles like spin-stop.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If used properly the Toro will do as good of a job, if not better, as the Honda. The Toro model with the blade brake control ( BBC ) is 20383 which is about $100 more than the 20381.

lagerstout

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went ahead and bought the Toro SR 21381 and am plenty satisfied after the first mow.

Some non scientific observations I made:

Theres a whole lot more turbulence under the SR than the Honda HRR2169VKA I have also at a cutting height at about 3".

Although it starts on one pull, at least right now it takes a bit more oomph to pull the starter.

Personal Pace is easier to operate than I originally thought although I'm gonna have to adjust the line to get it at the responsiveness I want.

Having the letters for height adjustment directly on the deck makes it easier to zero in on the cutting height you want.

DK35vince

Threads
We have owned a Toro Personal Pace Super recycler (20058 model) since 2007.
Aluminum deck, blade brake, electric start.
Nice mower