Push mower running too...

Wolf_22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, all! I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with...

So I decided to finally mow today. 1st mowing of the year! I was about 3/4th through the entire yard where out of nowhere, the mower began to run too fast. I didn't run over anything, so I wasn't able to figure out what happened but I shut off the mower to make sure the super fast running didn't blow the engine, etc.

After I took it into the garage and took the fuel filter off to reveal the governor, I saw the smallest of the 2 governor / throttle springs unattached to anything. I re-attached the small spring but after this, the mower still ran too fast. So I took the flywheel housing off and saw what I think was a missing "tooth" from the flywheel ring. Is something that possible? Also, if a tooth is gone, would that decrease the outbound wind force enough to not be able to adjust the governor restrictor thereby leaving the throttle "stuck" to being too fast?

Any info on this would be appreciated. (I'll try to post pictures of this mower soon--not able to right now.)

Threads
No one fin broken wont affect the air vane for the governor....... What model is your engine ???

You might have hooked the spring in the wrong place.... Do you have the carb that is screwed to your gas tank ???

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your machines info, so folks know what they're trying to work with, see (EXAMPLE of info)

GET INFO.JPG ..... also if you can.... pics of your carb. & linkage, would be most helpful,

Wolf_22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, guys. I attached 3 images:

"mower_1.png" shows the model information. (It's a Briggs & Stratton 300 Series 148cc 4.5 push mower that I bought back in like 2008.)
"mower_2.png" shows the flywheel, the broken fin, and the airflow arm that's next to it.
"mower_3.png" shows the governor, springs, etc.

When I first took the fuel filter off, the small spring was detached and dangling. So I tried to reattach it to where you see it in "mower_3.png," but the piece it's attached to to the right doesn't seem to move much regardless of what's attached to it. It's almost like it's not meant to move at all.

The basic issue here is that when I start the mower up, it runs way too fast and this started yesterday during my first mow of the year after the mower had been sitting in my garage through the winter. It's like the throttle is "stuck" or something...

(If you run into any issues with the attached images, let me know.)

Attachments

• mower_3.png
    mower_3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • mower_2.png
    mower_2.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 7
  • mower_1.png
    mower_1.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 2

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That bracket that attaches by the three head bolts that has the throttle control on it is supposed to be straight, That bend to the right of where the small spring attaches on the bracket isn't suppose to be there.There is a hole under that throttle arm that connects to the humped area on the rear of the fuel tank with a 1/4 inch bolt. Looks like the main governor spring has been pulls beyond its capacity and will also have to be replaced, and then both governor springs will have to be synced to prevent any surging issues.because of governor sensitivity.

Wolf_22

Forum Newbie
Threads
That bracket that attaches by the three head bolts that has the throttle control on it is supposed to be straight, That bend to the right of where the small spring attaches on the bracket isn't suppose to be there.There is a hole under that throttle arm that connects to the humped area on the rear of the fuel tank with a 1/4 inch bolt. Looks like the main governor spring has been pulls beyond its capacity and will also have to be replaced, and then both governor springs will have to be synced to prevent any surging issues.because of governor sensitivity.

I know it's unlikely but would you happen to have any or know of any online images or diagrams I might be able to follow in trying to fix this once I get home later tonight? That way I'd have something to compare against.

Threads
Just straighten the part/bracket back towards the carb.. That bigger spring is stretched way too long. You gonna blow your engine up..

The bracket should be even with the tank......

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's afew pic's of that linkage that may be of some help.....

CARB A.jpg..CARB B.jpg..CARB E.jpg..CARB F.jpg

Threads
Boo if you can show a front shot showing the bracket that holds the throttle cluster... His is bent all to hell.......