2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far

Ariens A19A42

Threads
  • / 2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far
Hi Guys,

I bought my Ariens A19A42 lawn tractor from a guy that just bought it 6 months earlier at Home Depot. He had only used it a couple times and ended up moving to an apartment so he sold me the mower.

I ran it a few times which it ran beautifully but it would backfire once in awhile and stop. Then I'd fire it up again. So that time of year I put it in the garage a few months. I put Sta-bil in the gas before every time I used it and stored it so the gas wouldn't go bad. So went to start it few months later and it wouldn't turn over but about 3/4 a turn so I bought new battery and charged it to 100% before I installed it and same thing , it wouldn't turn over.

So pulled the spark plug and it turns over super fast and I can here it go through its strokes.

So pulled valve cover and valve clearances are at 9 thousands and thinking one wasn't maybe opening but they both are. So couldn't figure it out and had no way to haul it into the dealer so let it sit for a couple years and just used my old JD mower. So wanting to figure it out so I can use it I just tried again here April 2018 of course again and the same problem. I've always done my own automobile repairs so am up to repairing it but don't know what to try next.

So please give me some help. Brand new beautiful mower I haven't been able to use is very frustrating. Never called a service center or Briggs figuring they'd not give me any help over the phone.
With thanks,

Ron

dfbroxy

Threads
9 thousands sounds like way too much valve clearance. Look up the correct spec and reset. Also give us some more info on the engine. Make and model number from valve cover is best.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sitting for really long periods does not help matters, usually the battery go's out, and the fuel system will become gummed up, but it sounds as if you need your valves adjusted, It appears you MIGHT have a 19 HP Briggs engine on it, First I would do, is be sure you have a good battery, then I would clean the ENTIRE fuel system, the tank, (replace) the fuel-lines (replace) filter and shut-off valve, next I would remove spark-plug and adjust the valves, then put some fuel into the cylinder install a NEW plug, and try to fire it up, if it works, (it should) replace the air-filter and change the oil AND filter (if so equipped) ... Next if it appears to start and run normally, you're good to go, if engine has issues you need to RE-build the carburetor (see links)

http://www.top5lawnmowers.com/ariens-lawn-mower-a19a42-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEUt_KAcYk&t=21s

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

Last edited:
Threads
Yes you have a valve problem 9 thou is too much adjust them at 4 thou and you will be good yo go......

Do you know how to adjust those valves on that small engine ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes you have a valve problem 9 thou is too much adjust them at 4 thou and you will be good yo go......

Hey Bo, I gave him the link to Taryl's valve adjustment technique ( the one YOU & I use )

Threads
I noticed that link after I posted....... That's a great short video and explains it well............

Thanks Boo ~!~!

Ariens A19A42

Threads
9 thousands sounds like way too much valve clearance. Look up the correct spec and reset. Also give us some more info on the engine. Make and model number from valve cover is best.

Thank you for your reply. Its a 19 HP Briggs single with model number 33R877 0009 A1 9501192D . When I watched a video on Utube a guy said the valve clearence should be on the valve cover so thought that 0009 might be the clearance but think now from comments its not.

Ariens A19A42

Threads

Thank you so use the 1/4" below TDC to adjust both at 4 thou?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you so use the 1/4" below TDC to adjust both at 4 thou?

NO, NO, NO, Go back & watch the 2nd link, (video) in post # 3, watch & listen several times if necessary !!

Ariens A19A42

Threads
NO, NO, NO, Go back & watch the 2nd link, (video) in post # 3, watch & listen several times if necessary !!

OK thanks I'll do so and do it just like he does at 4 thou. Thank you very much for your help. Trying to fiure out how to pull the hood without loosiening bolts as I read was possibel.