2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far

Ariens A19A42

Threads
  • / 2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far
RON, DID YOU NOT watch the video I sent in POST # 26 ....???????????? THE LINK !!! CLICK ON THE LINK

IT EXPLAINS WHY we do NOT use the 1/4 inch after TDC method !!

HERE IS THE VIDEO >>>> AGAIN !!! .. ... ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

IT STARTS at about 19 minutes & 06 seconds into the video !!! ( it MIGHT start at that point .. I reset it to that point )

AND HERE IS ANOTHER VIDEO of how to ADJUST THEM........ WATCH THESE VIDEO'S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEUt_KAcYk&t=21s .. ( watch THIS ENTIRE VIDEO )

GET THIS 1/4 TDC idea OUT OF YOUR HEAD !!......... YES the valves are adjusted separately as shown in the video !!!!!!

IF you don't understand any of this .... post it.... and I will send you my phone # in a PM, .. and try to talk you through this !

I did adjust them that way but only had gauge with the thinnest of 8 thou so used a piece of printing paper hoping it was about 4 thou thick but it turned over one time good then won't turn over again like that. So another gentlemen sent me a private message and said its a must to use the 1/4" below TDC to adjust them. I just bought a new feeler gauge with 4 thou so will try it again.

So have to talk puppy for a walk then when I return I'll try it again plus take the hood off so I can do it easier.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did adjust them that way but only had gauge with the thinnest of 8 thou so used a piece of printing paper hoping it was about 4 thou thick but it turned over one time good then won't turn over again like that. So another gentlemen sent me a private message and said its a must to use the 1/4" below TDC to adjust them. I just bought a new feeler gauge with 4 thou so will try it again.

So have to talk puppy for a walk then when I return I'll try it again plus take the hood off so I can do it easier.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

RON, .. DID YOU watch the video's .. ??
IF so... do you understand them .. ??
by all means leave the hood off until you get the engine running .
ALSO be sure battery is fully charged ... 12.3 volts or better........

Ariens A19A42

Threads
RON, .. DID YOU watch the video's .. ??
IF so... do you understand them .. ??
by all means leave the hood off until you get the engine running .
ALSO be sure battery is fully charged ... 12.3 volts or better........

Yes I watched them and absolutely will leave that hood off until it's good to go. Going out to work on it now and will let you know what happens.

Thank you,

Ron

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Yes I watched them and absolutely will leave that hood off until it's good to go. Going out to work on it now and will let you know what happens.

Thank you,

Ron

Well I readjusted the valves at 4 thou which they were a bit loose. Plug was what factory sticker says on mower with no damage. Threw plug back in and went to turn it over and again it stopped at the compression stroke. I so I thought lets turn it by hand past the compression and then it turned correctly and fired right up and ran like a top. Let it heat up and then shut it off hoping it would turn over without putting it past the compression stroke myself but no dice , same thing.
When I help it and it turns over it spins really fast and fires right up then.

So maybe starter is weak? I cut some grass after it started and ran great.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I readjusted the valves at 4 thou which they were a bit loose. Plug was what factory sticker says on mower with no damage. Threw plug back in and went to turn it over and again it stopped at the compression stroke. I so I thought lets turn it by hand past the compression and then it turned correctly and fired right up and ran like a top. Let it heat up and then shut it off hoping it would turn over without putting it past the compression stroke myself but no dice , same thing.
When I help it and it turns over it spins really fast and fires right up then.

So maybe starter is weak? I cut some grass after it started and ran great.

Well glad to see you were able to use it, BUT,....... if you're 100% sure you have the valves adjusted right, and the battery is at full charge, yes it MIGHT be a weak starter, BUT doubtful, BEFORE you go spending money on parts, try removing the battery cables BOTH ends !! at the battery, the solenoid and at the ground cable to the frame, Clean with a wire brush, /sandpaper etc. THOROUGHLY clean and then very SNUG ! then check the starter solenoid wires ( on all the terminals, and if the solenoid is bolted to the body/frame remove it, and clean the metal on the solenoid base and frame/body where it mounts, ( dirty corroded connections are a MAJOR factor of starting issues) IF this does ..NOT.. help, there are other things that may be the problem, but lets try the CHEAPEST, EASIEST "fixes" first, keep us posted Ron !! We want your machine at 100% ..:thumbsup:

ALSO: ALWAYS take pictures or make a diagram of the wires and or any springs BEFORE removal, so there's NO-DOUBT as to where they go during re-installation !!! ... I take many , many pictures to cover my arse, and save them for use on the forum and my own failing memory !! You can always DELETE the UN-wanted !!

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Well glad to see you were able to use it, BUT,....... if you're 100% sure you have the valves adjusted right, and the battery is at full charge, yes it MIGHT be a weak starter, BUT doubtful, BEFORE you go spending money on parts, try removing the battery cables BOTH ends !! at the battery, the solenoid and at the ground cable to the frame, Clean with a wire brush, /sandpaper etc. THOROUGHLY clean and then very SNUG ! then check the starter solenoid wires ( on all the terminals, and if the solenoid is bolted to the body/frame remove it, and clean the metal on the solenoid base and frame/body where it mounts, ( dirty corroded connections are a MAJOR factor of starting issues) IF this does ..NOT.. help, there are other things that may be the problem, but lets try the CHEAPEST, EASIEST "fixes" first, keep us posted Ron !! We want your machine at 100% ..:thumbsup:

ALSO: ALWAYS take pictures or make a diagram of the wires and or any springs BEFORE removal, so there's NO-DOUBT as to where they go during re-installation !!! ... I take many , many pictures to cover my arse, and save them for use on the forum and my own failing memory !! You can always DELETE the UN-wanted !!

OK I'll do that after I get this lawn fully mowed. I'm surprise at how small gauge the battery cables are. Think I should do an upgrade on them asap.

Thank you so much for everyone's help and time spent with my this, I greatly appreciate it a lot.

Ron

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK I'll do that after I get this lawn fully mowed. I'm surprise at how small gauge the battery cables are. Think I should do an upgrade on them asap.

Thank you so much for everyone's help and time spent with my this, I greatly appreciate it a lot.

Ron

Ron, you can buy some #6 AWG copper wire at Home-Depot/Lowes or most hardware stores, they may also have the CORRECT size terminal ends or they can be purchased at an auto-parts place, also the wire from the battery to the solenoid, and solenoid to starter ( ground cables too) post back after your completed . .. :thumbsup:

Threads
I sure hope it's a bad connection issue, instead of a bad cam........... This will be a long 25 page thread LOL ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sure hope it's a bad connection issue, instead of a bad cam........... This will be a long 25 page thread LOL ~!~!

OHHHhhh PLEEEEEZE LORD, ......NO ... NOT a camshaft here too ! I was hoping not to bring that up Bo, that's what I meant in my post saying OTHER-THINGS... Ron would have a schitt-fit .... RIGHT Ron ..???? .. :rolleyes:

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Ron, you can buy some #6 AWG copper wire at Home-Depot/Lowes or most hardware stores, they may also have the CORRECT size terminal ends or they can be purchased at an auto-parts place, also the wire from the battery to the solenoid, and solenoid to starter ( ground cables too) post back after your completed . .. :thumbsup:

OK I'll jump on that...I bet it only has 12 gauge if they have it. I have 2&4 gauge for my car stereo and its 3-4 times larger than what they put on this mower. Just fisnished the back yard and forgot how nice this mower rides ,runs and turn radius is excellent. Runs like a sewing machine.

Gonna wash it when done w/front and when I do cables I'll take photo's and post and write about the mod.