2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far
Ariens, THIS is bewildering us also, this is a head scratcher, IF you have fuel reaching the cylinder, and you have good spark, along with correct timing, by all accounts it SHOULD run, you say you can't turn it with the plug in ?? THAT sounds like something is stopping rotation, even with the plug in, it may be HARD to turn, BUT you should still be able to turn it by hand, something is blocking something, ..... check the spark-plug to see if the gap is closed ( piston hitting the plug) it sounds as if the air in the cylinder cant escape, that would make me think, (SORRY) incorrect valve adjustment, plugged exhaust port, and or breather, .... trying to avoid going into the engine, as a last resort, let us know about the plug as we ponder over this.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ariens, THIS is bewildering us also, this is a head scratcher, IF you have fuel reaching the cylinder, and you have good spark, along with correct timing, by all accounts it SHOULD run, you say you can't turn it with the plug in ?? THAT sounds like something is stopping rotation, even with the plug in, it may be HARD to turn, BUT you should still be able to turn it by hand, something is blocking something, ..... check the spark-plug to see if the gap is closed ( piston hitting the plug) it sounds as if the air in the cylinder cant escape, that would make me think, (SORRY) incorrect valve adjustment, plugged exhaust port, and or breather, .... trying to avoid going into the engine, as a last resort, let us know about the plug as we ponder over this.

WHOA hold on Chuck......... we are gonna confuse the the hell outa this poor guy ..... Boudreaux & I tell him to set the valves ONE way ( in agreement and also Taryl ) and THEN... he's told to do the "book-method" , I've never ever had a problem with any of MY Briggs when I set the valves ( as described in Taryl's video, BUT long before I heard of Taryl, I had a Tech at a dealership show me how to do it that way. )

dfbroxy

Threads
While he is checking the valves, he should check to see if the push rods are seated properly and not bent also. He already has the cover off so check the flywheel key.

Ariens A19A42

Threads

Thank you for your help. The plug is fine and with the plug out I can easily turn the motor over by hand. I adjusted the valves at TDC per suggested but have been told it should be done with piston at 1/4" below TDC, which I will do today. The plug gets some fuel on it so its getting fuel I guess.

I can't figure out how to check the timing but will have to look it up. The flywheel has some surface rust I assume from me washing it when it was running and must have gotten it wet when I would wash it after use. Could water have caused this? I hate to spend money on a new starter since it spins very strong when the plugs out.

I'm going to jump it with a good car battery today and put positive directly to the starter.

Thank you for your help.

Ron

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for your help. The plug is fine and with the plug out I can easily turn the motor over by hand. I adjusted the valves at TDC per suggested but have been told it should be done with piston at 1/4" below TDC, which I will do today. The plug gets some fuel on it so its getting fuel I guess.

I can't figure out how to check the timing but will have to look it up. The flywheel has some surface rust I assume from me washing it when it was running and must have gotten it wet when I would wash it after use. Could water have caused this? I hate to spend money on a new starter since it spins very strong when the plugs out.

I'm going to jump it with a good car battery today and put positive directly to the starter.

Thank you for your help.

Ron

Ron a rusty flywheel won't stop it from starting, but you could look at the flywheel keyway while you have the shroud off (as stated by another member) and also check the gap between the coil and flywheel at the same time, to help clear-up this valve adjustment procedure see the video in the link....... Taryl explains WHY we set the valves this way without using the "book-procedure", EXPLANATION begins at approx 19:10 min of the video, Hang in there Ron, we'll get it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Ron a rusty flywheel won't stop it from starting, but you could look at the flywheel keyway while you have the shroud off (as stated by another member) and also check the gap between the coil and flywheel at the same time, to help clear-up this valve adjustment procedure see the video in the link....... Taryl explains WHY we set the valves this way without using the "book-procedure", EXPLANATION begins at approx 19:10 min of the video, Hang in there Ron, we'll get it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

Thank you so much .....this is why I just put it in the shed 2 years ago and gave up. So much better having you guys help me with this.

I'll check the coil gap,adjust the valves per that hilarious Taryl and check the flywheel key.

Let you know as soon as I'm done.

Ron

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
MESSAGE to Ron ...!! Pay ATTENTION !!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1530392614.jpg
    1530392614.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13

Ariens A19A42

Threads
MESSAGE to Ron ...!! Pay ATTENTION !!!!

attachment.php

Just to make sure I do this right..Do I adjust both exh and intake at the same time at 1/4" before or after TDC?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
RON, DID YOU NOT watch the video I sent in POST # 26 ....???????????? THE LINK !!! CLICK ON THE LINK

IT EXPLAINS WHY we do NOT use the 1/4 inch after TDC method !!

HERE IS THE VIDEO >>>> AGAIN !!! .. ... ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4

IT STARTS at about 19 minutes & 06 seconds into the video !!! ( it MIGHT start at that point .. I reset it to that point )

AND HERE IS ANOTHER VIDEO of how to ADJUST THEM........ WATCH THESE VIDEO'S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEUt_KAcYk&t=21s .. ( watch THIS ENTIRE VIDEO )

GET THIS 1/4 TDC idea OUT OF YOUR HEAD !!......... YES the valves are adjusted separately as shown in the video !!!!!!

IF you don't understand any of this .... post it.... and I will send you my phone # in a PM, .. and try to talk you through this !