2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far

Threads
  • / 2015 Ariens A19A42 Lawn Tractor To Much Compression to Turn Over far
The tractor hood ??? Thats easy just lift and then there 2 slots.... One on each side..... Slide the hood towards the seat and then lift up on the hood........

Ariens A19A42

Threads
The tractor hood ??? Thats easy just lift and then there 2 slots.... One on each side..... Slide the hood towards the seat and then lift up on the hood........

Awesome-I was pulling to the front.....thank you

Threads
Great now let us know what you find out with main issue...... Seems like you are working on it right now ~!~!

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Great now let us know what you find out with main issue...... Seems like you are working on it right now ~!~!

Yes I will let you guys know. Hope it does the trick and not a compression release I read about. Will work on it Monday afternoon.

Thank you again for the help everyone.

Ron

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Hi Guys,

I bought my Ariens A19A42 lawn tractor from a guy that just bought it 6 months earlier at Home Depot. He had only used it a couple times and ended up moving to an apartment so he sold me the mower.

I ran it a few times which it ran beautifully but it would backfire once in awhile and stop. Then I'd fire it up again. So that time of year I put it in the garage a few months. I put Sta-bil in the gas before every time I used it and stored it so the gas wouldn't go bad. So went to start it few months later and it wouldn't turn over but about 3/4 a turn so I bought new battery and charged it to 100% before I installed it and same thing , it wouldn't turn over.

So pulled the spark plug and it turns over super fast and I can here it go through its strokes.

So pulled valve cover and valve clearances are at 9 thousands and thinking one wasn't maybe opening but they both are. So couldn't figure it out and had no way to haul it into the dealer so let it sit for a couple years and just used my old JD mower. So wanting to figure it out so I can use it I just tried again here April 2018 of course again and the same problem. I've always done my own automobile repairs so am up to repairing it but don't know what to try next.

So please give me some help. Brand new beautiful mower I haven't been able to use is very frustrating. Never called a service center or Briggs figuring they'd not give me any help over the phone.
With thanks,

Ron

OK Monday evening I just finished adjusting the valves at 4 thou and when I first turned the key it spun a bit farther but once it gets to the compression stroke it just stops just like it did before.

So I took off all the plastic covers so I can see everything Could it be the timing? Compression release which I have no idea where it is? With the plug out it spins fast and strong with new battery. Plus I jumped it with a car battery and it made no difference.

Threads
Ok great job ..... What Plastic covers are you speaking of ??? The air shroud that covers the whole engine ???

If that's the cover you are talking about can you turn the flywheel all the way around with your hands ???

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE SPARK PLUG WIRE OFF AND put it WELL AWAY form the plug before you turn it by hand OK.....

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Ok great job ..... What Plastic covers are you speaking of ??? The air shroud that covers the whole engine ???

If that's the cover you are talking about can you turn the flywheel all the way around with your hands ???

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE SPARK PLUG WIRE OFF AND put it WELL AWAY form the plug before you turn it by hand OK.....

Yes the shroud I took off and the air clearer plastic so I could see the flywheel. With plug in I can't turn it over by hand once it gets to its compression. It has some surface rust Ion the flywheel face I'm sure from washing it. Do I need to remove the rust for the it to work correctly with the coil gap?

Threads
Wow, that IS STRANGE that you can't turn the flywheel by hand with the plug in by hand...... Like you said already you took the plug out and it spins free.......

So that eliminates HYDRO lock........ WHAT SPARK PLUG are you using ??? You have to excuse my CAPS in here because I have been posting on a few 19 HP engines on a few threads today and yesterday on here and another forum...

Ariens A19A42

Threads
Wow, that IS STRANGE that you can't turn the flywheel by hand with the plug in by hand...... Like you said already you took the plug out and it spins free.......

So that eliminates HYDRO lock........ WHAT SPARK PLUG are you using ??? You have to excuse my CAPS in here because I have been posting on a few 19 HP engines on a few threads today and yesterday on here and another forum...

I'll take a look late morning to see what the plug is and let you know. Yes I can only turn it by hand a until it must be on TDC because when its there I can't turn anymore. Plus I have a lot of strength in the my hands from my setting tile and marble.

Its been a vert frustrating ordeal with this thing.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Quick question. Did you set the valves at 1/4 turn past TDC on the compression stroke? It does matter.