another new mower this year? What to do, need a bit of advice

Sunbum

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / another new mower this year? What to do, need a bit of advice
Good afternoon, I'll try and make this as short as possible. 3 years ago I purchased a new troy-bilt 42" cut with a 15 HP B&S. It ran into the 2nd year and had problems with it, took it to the local dealer in Town (as it was out of warranty according to the big box it was purchased at) turned out the compression release had broken. Had it repaired and the next season it happened again so back to the repair shop and was greeted with "Sorry,only 30 day warranty". So I buy a Husqvarna YTH18K46 from the local dealer. 1 year and 65 hours on the machine and the engine (kawasaki FR600V) starts smoking. So I take it in to the place I bought it and after a couple days they call me back and tell me the Air filter was dirty causing the rings/pistons to be scratched hence the smoking and it voided the warranty as they claim it wasn't maintained properly, although during that previous 65 hours the oil and filter had been changed twice, looked at the air filter after the first change at 25 hours but didn't require changing as it was clean. Haven't reached Husqvarna yet, That will be my next step. My question is this.....I am cutting approximately 2 3/4 acres in a mobile home park, Am I buying to small of tractors or am I buying the wrong tractor?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depending on conditions and location of the air filter, 65 hours on an air filter without cleaning/replacement can be a lot, certainly enough to cause problems. The problem is that once it becomes plugged, unfiltered air can get pulled in from around the seal and into the engine. I don't think you'll get anywhere with Husqvarna. You may as well keep running it now and just keep an eye on the oil if it isn't too bad. Rebuild is another option.

To answer your question, don't know. Either you have bad luck with mowers, the conditions you're running in are lousy, or your maintenance is lacking...or a little of all of those. They should last longer than that, even mowing that much acreage.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good afternoon, I'll try and make this as short as possible. 3 years ago I purchased a new troy-bilt 42" cut with a 15 HP B&S. It ran into the 2nd year and had problems with it, took it to the local dealer in Town (as it was out of warranty according to the big box it was purchased at) turned out the compression release had broken. Had it repaired and the next season it happened again so back to the repair shop and was greeted with "Sorry,only 30 day warranty". So I buy a Husqvarna YTH18K46 from the local dealer. 1 year and 65 hours on the machine and the engine (kawasaki FR600V) starts smoking. So I take it in to the place I bought it and after a couple days they call me back and tell me the Air filter was dirty causing the rings/pistons to be scratched hence the smoking and it voided the warranty as they claim it wasn't maintained properly, although during that previous 65 hours the oil and filter had been changed twice, looked at the air filter after the first change at 25 hours but didn't require changing as it was clean. Haven't reached Husqvarna yet, That will be my next step. My question is this.....I am cutting approximately 2 3/4 acres in a mobile home park, Am I buying to small of tractors or am I buying the wrong tractor?

Spend the money and buy a Scag Zero turn and don't look back. A Tiger Cat will cost you but it will run 20 years or longer.

Threads
How do they know that the piston and the rings were scratched ??? They tore the engine down are just took the head off and looked at the cylinder ???

Yes the air filter needs to be changed often and if you have a PRE filter that is a must to replace every time ~!~!

Do you have a lot of dust when you are cutting or you cutting just grass in your area ???