Z915B won't crank, turn over, start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two sides to a circuit.
Remove the black - wire and clean all those connections.
Check that the engine mounting bolts are tight.

Remove the starter solenoid, clean the body where it contacts the frame and also under the bolt heads.
Some solenoids use the body to make the - connection to the battery.

The click is the fuel solenoid, the buzz will be either the starter solenoid or the starter solenoid relay if it has one and it is buzzing because it is not getting a clean supply of 12 Volts.

rogerru

Threads
starter solenoid is part of the starter. i put my ear near the starter while someone else hit the switch. the buzz/click isn't at the starter. i'll check engine mounting. i'll do whatever is suggested. still looking for that bad connection or bare wire etc. from the solenoid there's a blue wire that disappears into the engine near the valve cover on the left. don't know what that's for on this kohler engine. keep suggestions coming. thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
don't know much about a meter but i touched across the terminals on the starter just enough to get a bump out of the starter. puzzling to me is that with the ignition switch in just the on position, there's no hour meter display. so, even if the starter was stuck, there should be power at the hour meter. yes?

A lot of mowers run the hour meter off the PTO switch so it only records mowing hours.
Others run it off the ignition switch so when I run the mower dry and forge to turn it off, it clocks up a full seasons worth of hours.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
starter solenoid is part of the starter. i put my ear near the starter while someone else hit the switch. the buzz/click isn't at the starter. i'll check engine mounting. i'll do whatever is suggested. still looking for that bad connection or bare wire etc. from the solenoid there's a blue wire that disappears into the engine near the valve cover on the left. don't know what that's for on this kohler engine. keep suggestions coming. thanks.

In that case the buzz will be from the starter relay
Slip your hands under the dash, you should be able to feel it.
Pull the relay and swap it out with another.
If it still buzzes then one of the switches that trigger the relay is making a bad contact.
When relays are used often the triggering is via a ground circuit.

rogerru

Threads
the PTO switch item sounds very logical. i have a new one and will swap it out. ALSO, per the wire diagram, there's a diode somewhere. i'll find and test it. thanks.

rogerru

Threads
found the diode. tested it (per a youtube video). it's good, over 600 on the meter. mower still down.

rogerru

Threads
does anyone know where to get a wiring schematic for this Z915B?

Luffydog

Threads
check safety switches as well

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once again, get some one to hold the starter on and feel around for whatever is buzzing.
It will be a relay.

dfbroxy

Threads
I had the same problem on my mower last year. It turned out to be the ignition switch. I know your switch seems to be working but is it working right? Im not saying its burnt out, its not. The copper contacts inside the switch can come unglued and move causing power in the wrong amount to the wrong place and no power where its suppose to be. This might explain hour meter not working and if no power to silinoid at the start position......