How much oil should a new mower use ?

JGGMC

Threads
I have used my Tiger Cat 2 for 2.1 hours. I checked the oil and it is at the bottom mark on the dip stick. Is this normal? I checked the oil when I got it but could not see very good. I checked it without screwing the dip stick in.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Assuming you have a Kohler or Kawasaki engine on your machine the proper method of checking the oil is with the dipstick unscrewed and at it's lowest point unscrewed - so unscrew and turn it backwards until it drops down to its lowest point.

Your oil consumption on a new engine should be negligible, but since your not sure it was full to begin with I'd wait before you draw any conclusions. It would be smoking noticeably if it consumed that much oil.

JGGMC

Threads
Assuming you have a Kohler or Kawasaki engine on your machine the proper method of checking the oil is with the dipstick unscrewed and at it's lowest point unscrewed - so unscrew and turn it backwards until it drops down to its lowest point.

Your oil consumption on a new engine should be negligible, but since your not sure it was full to begin with I'd wait before you draw any conclusions. It would be smoking noticeably if it consumed that much oil.

It has a 22 Kawasaki motor. The oil must have been checked with the dip stick screwed in at the dealer. It has not smoked at all. I will buy a quart of Kawasaki oil tomorrow.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have NEVER started my Kawasaki without first checking the oil level. It's a good habit to get into imo. Engines are expensive, checking oil doesn't cost at all for peace of mind.

During the 1st 50 hours, it 'may' use a little oil as it is breaking in. But mine didn't use any. If you use a multi-grade oil even the owners manual says it can use a lil oil.

Don't forget to do your early oil change, I changed my filter as well, just before 10 hours.