28 HP Briggs on Husqvarna MZT 52 with oil leak?

tom-ky

Threads
Mover had been ran once this year and all was good. Changed the oil in it and now it has developed an oil leak and not from the filter. Been reading of issues with lower housing leaking. Pretty disappointing to have this problem with 125 hours. Anyone seen any common area of leaks?

Luffydog

Threads
Yep valve covers and the sump and pto seal

tom-ky

Threads
Yep valve covers and the sump and pto seal

Going to try and locate the leak. How bad is the sump to do? I guess Briggs isn't standing behind them since it is past the 2 years.

Luffydog

Threads
I would first check the oil drain plug they are famous for backing out leaking while mowing and blowing your engine up. 3wks ago I pulled 4 down with the sump gasket leaking. 2 others had just an oil leak from the oil drain plug which is yellow in color and has the quick drain plug that you just twist and add a hose and let it flow. I would check that first.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oops. Replied to wrong post.

Last edited:

tom-ky

Threads
I would first check the oil drain plug they are famous for backing out leaking while mowing and blowing your engine up. 3wks ago I pulled 4 down with the sump gasket leaking. 2 others had just an oil leak from the oil drain plug which is yellow in color and has the quick drain plug that you just twist and add a hose and let it flow. I would check that first.

It is leaking at that seam between the sump and crankcase. How much does that usually run?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Mover had been ran once this year and all was good. Changed the oil in it and now it has developed an oil leak and not from the filter. Been reading of issues with lower housing leaking. Pretty disappointing to have this problem with 125 hours. Anyone seen any common area of leaks?

When asking an engine question you should post the engine model number so we all know what engine we are talking about. B&S has 2 year warranty on engine used for residential service is one reason for model and code numbers. Did you buy it new and when.

Walt Conner

tom-ky

Threads
When asking an engine question you should post the engine model number so we all know what engine we are talking about. B&S has 2 year warranty on engine used for residential service is one reason for model and code numbers. Did you buy it new and when.

Walt Conner

It is a 49L977-1635G5. Bought new in 2014. Seems to be pretty poor service to me, that major of a leak in 125 hours.

Threads
Tom the gasket kit for your engine is 594195 and it comes with all new bolts...... I suspect that the plant that put your engine together didn't torque your engine sump right or your temps in KY. fluctuate a lot.... I don't think temps have anything to do with it though....

I have a good friend that moved from down here in Louisiana and moved up there in Pee Wee Valley.... He was driving for UPS long haul and retired from them...... Now he cuts logs for profit doing the exotic woods like cherry ETC ETC ......

Here is a link for a video that is funny at first and very informative on all aspects of your engine........ Enjoy Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/fmbwImeiqaE

gregjo1948

Threads
I got in a FW35 Ferris that was a mess from an oil leak thinking it was the lower crank seal but turned out to be one of the hydraulic filters was way too loose.