Kohler K301S

Doh!

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, here goes, I am a wannabe farmer, raise a couple beef, make 15 acres of hay to feed em. I have a small machine shop for the farm and for my other hobbies. I have a 12 hp Kohler K301S ser# 47629 (mid 80's) on an air compressor. It was not running when I got it. I replaced the coil, condenser, points, and head gasket. Had weak to no spark. Points gapped at .020" and were not fully closing. The rod is free and smooth. I measured the travel of the rod with an indicator and it is only .018". I set the points at .010" and it runs fine. What I want to know is why I have so little travel from the cam? Can I run the points at .010" or will I ruin something else? I have checked and rechecked the rod and it seems to be following the cam. This engine is no virgin so I wonder if it could have the wrong cam in it? Thanks for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The cam lobe could be worn but the point push rod could also be worn down creating excessive slack. the proper timing is set at .020 to get it started and the final adjustment is then made with a timing light and varying the gap slightly to change the timing. I have found the final gap to be down to .014 and up to .022 in my experience.

Doh!

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, with the points off, an indicator on the steel rod, I only measure .018" of travel. If I set the points at .020" they don't fully close. A longer or shorter rod will still only move .018" So I should be OK running the points at .010"? I will try the timing light later this week.

Doh!

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, set timing with a light. Not that far off from static timing. Gap is .012" runs fine idles down and revs back up under load. Thanks for the help.