Looking for experience with JD 1550 front mower

Richandtd

Threads
Looking for feed back on the John Deere 1550 front mower with 4 wheel drive. I currently use an 07 x324 and thinking of upgrading to the 1550. I was thinking that zero turn might be the way to go but wife could not drive one and looking to get my last mowing machine. I like diesel being a retired engine man USN. For the 5 acres that i cut weekly the x324 does it but want to shorten the time involved and a comfortable ride.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just curious if you're saying your wife couldn't operate a Zero-Turn mower because it's unfamiliar to her and she doesn't think she can. They're pretty easy to operate. If she can push a shopping cart she can operate a Zero-Turn mower...the controls operate in the same manner. I don't mean to pry, but it's just that a lot of people seem to think that it will be too complicated for them, when it's actually very intuitive and easy.

Luffydog

Threads
Or like my wife says I don't know how to but really she's telling me that just because she don't won't to or in other words I am not mowing the yard.

Richandtd

Threads
I have a bad back from active duty service USN and wife loves living in the country so my next mower will probably be a John Deere 1585 for the comfort in the seat and of coarse the A/C. Just gotta get my ducks in a row then my bob cat 430 excavator with A/C will have a friend in the yard. I like my sandbox.

billymagg

Threads
Looking for feed back on the John Deere 1550 front mower with 4 wheel drive. I currently use an 07 x324 and thinking of upgrading to the 1550. I was thinking that zero turn might be the way to go but wife could not drive one and looking to get my last mowing machine. I like diesel being a retired engine man USN. For the 5 acres that i cut weekly the x324 does it but want to shorten the time involved and a comfortable ride.

Yep, you're on the right track, I just bought a John Deere F1435 today, in really nice shape, it drove so nice, I invited the "Honey Badger" to give it a try, she absolutely loved it, very intuitive and even trimmed around the concrete well platform without incident.. it is much more "intuitive" than a zero turn,, the zero turn just requires a little more mechanical aptitude honestly....:thumbsup:

Richandtd

Threads
Some of the grass that i cut the ground gets pretty wet. The other day while cutting with the x324 i got stuck and got it out by myself by turning off the mower deck getting off and pushing. This is only possible since i disabled the seat shutoff switch. I was considering a Z turn mower but with the weight I’d the machine with a diesel and my wet areas that require cutting is the main reason that i have chose to go with a front mower with AWS on demand. Which will also make trimming around the wooded side of the yard.

Ronster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Richlandtd, did you ever get the JD1550? I am also considering one, but no dealers near me stock them.

Richandtd

Threads
Yes I bought a 07 1545 out of South Dakota from RDO and had it shipped to me in Virginia to a John Deer Dealership and it has two decks ons flex and one regular both 72”. It is enclosed and has A/C and heat with about 1200 hours on the ticker. Total with shipping was a little less than 18K and this brings a smile to my face every time i see it let alone cut grass. This is one great monster of a grass cutter doing it in comfort.

Ronster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Congrats on the JD. I bet cutting the grass is almost fun. How did you find a shipper? I have found a used 1545 about 1,000 miles from home.

Richandtd

Threads
Yes cutting grass is fun now in the heat of the day when the grass is standing the tallest and I’m in the comfort of A/C. RDO arranged the shipping for me. If mine was only 1000 miles from me I would have drove to get it I mean you should have a trailer of it any way is my thinking. Out of curiosity where is it shipping from and to? Good luck.