battery not charging

gregjo1948

Threads
27 hp Kohler on an IS3100 Ferris Z. I have power to the center terminal of the regulator/rectifier.
Using a test light on the other two terminals, they brighten when the engine is reved up.
Testing the battery, with engine off, reads about 12.73 volts and running the engine it looses
volts. Why isn't the battery charging if it's charging at the regulator?(regulator/rectifier is new)

NorthBama

Threads
The voltage coming from the flywheel stater will be ac voltage check it with a VOM meter first

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
need the output AC voltage for the two outside plugs on the voltage regulator to determine if it is the stator or the regulator. Also make sure the regulator body is properly grounded, and make a ground strap to connect to a good engine ground if needed. If the regulator isn't grounded it won't charge either.

gregjo1948

Threads
need the output AC voltage for the two outside plugs on the voltage regulator to determine if it is the stator or the regulator. Also make sure the regulator body is properly grounded, and make a ground strap to connect to a good engine ground if needed. If the regulator isn't grounded it won't charge either.

I don't think it's the regulator because I just installed a new one and I ran a ground directly to the engine. I'll check the voltage on the outer terminals.
Thanks for the reply.

Luffydog

Threads
Stator shot more than likely. Have u been putting a lot of pto switches in? More than likely stator,regulator,clutch,pto switch, will be the fix all.

gregjo1948

Threads
Not sure how I'm suppose to check the stator. Using a multimeter, I put one lead on the center terminal of the regulator and the other lead on and an outside terminal and the voltage(at about 3/4 throttle) was 20-21 volts. It was the same on the other outside terminal. I checked again and it's grounded well. As I said before, the regulator/ rectifier is new.

Luffydog

Threads
Have u check the fuses? Have to do it in ac voltage if not could damage your meter. Thinking it should be between 16-20. Look on YouTube they have good showings on how to do the test. Had one last week that was only putting out 9 which is not enough. Pulled engine out stator in new clutch. The because was the cause of it because it was pulling more than the stator could keep up with and burnt it out. But you can't rule out the flywheel just yet until you have a look because it is a kohler and they r famous for the flywheel magnets going bad.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If voltage is less than 28 volts, stator is probably faulty and should be replaced.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure how I'm suppose to check the stator. Using a multimeter, I put one lead on the center terminal of the regulator and the other lead on and an outside terminal and the voltage(at about 3/4 throttle) was 20-21 volts. It was the same on the other outside terminal. I checked again and it's grounded well. As I said before, the regulator/ rectifier is new.

volt meter set to AC then put the red lead on one outside terminal and the black lead on the other outside terminal. should read over 28 volts AC.