I got a new Tiger Cat 2 today, not sure if it is for me

JGGMC

Threads
  • / I got a new Tiger Cat 2 today, not sure if it is for me
This is my first zero turn mower. The steering maybe too sensitive for me. The manual says to keep the engine at full throttle for mowing. I try to mow slow as I can to learn about it. I am putting the roll bar up.

Sweats

Threads
No no no!! You're all set, just give it some more time. I got mine last year and started by mowing zigzags all over the place. It was REALLY frustrating. Here's what I learned, and I hope I explain this okay. Pretty much, I use one or the other handle to keep my speed consistent. Then, I use the other to steer. It's just little movements back and forth with the one as the other remains still. By using only one to steer though, you're not jerking the mower around everywhere. It doesn't matter which handle you use to keep your speed or steer. I do that about ninety percent of the time I'm on it and it works well. Give it a shot. Good luck

JGGMC

Threads
thanks for the advise.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
A Zero-Turn mower steers just like a shopping cart. Seriously.

I usually have people I'm teaching to operate one start at half throttle in an open area with the blades off. You don't want to do that for any length of time though because it can overheat the hydros. Then full throttle blades off, and only after they can operate it somewhat proficiently is it time to turn the blades on.

JGGMC

Threads
No no no!! You're all set, just give it some more time. I got mine last year and started by mowing zigzags all over the place. It was REALLY frustrating. Here's what I learned, and I hope I explain this okay. Pretty much, I use one or the other handle to keep my speed consistent. Then, I use the other to steer. It's just little movements back and forth with the one as the other remains still. By using only one to steer though, you're not jerking the mower around everywhere. It doesn't matter which handle you use to keep your speed or steer. I do that about ninety percent of the time I'm on it and it works well. Give it a shot. Good luck
that is some good advice using one for turning until I got used to it. It got much easier. thanks I really like it now.

JGGMC

Threads
A Zero-Turn mower steers just like a shopping cart. Seriously.

I usually have people I'm teaching to operate one start at half throttle in an open area with the blades off. You don't want to do that for any length of time though because it can overheat the hydros. Then full throttle blades off, and only after they can operate it somewhat proficiently is it time to turn the blades on.
thats for sure starting out in the open is a must. I would have crashed into my vehicles if not learning away from everything. thanks for the help.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just keep at it. Before long you will be running it with one hand. It is not nearly as hard as it first appears.

I am not going to tell you to NOT use the roll bar but from hundreds of hours experience operating a Tiger Cat you are more likely to have problems running the roll bar into a tree limb than you are to run it over. We have put some in some incredible places and not rolled one over. I am sure you can but it would be really really hard on flat ground.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can't get the hang of it, I can quickly make some room for it here. :laughing:

Seriously tho, it's like anything new, just takes some practice. And delicate touch on the sticks.

Congrats on the New machine.

JGGMC

Threads
I've got the hang of it now. I already put 2 hours on it. I will probably put 30 -40 hours on it every year. It should last.