Scag Patriot vs a used JD Z920m

iom

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you guys had the choice which direction would you choose. I've been quoted a price of $6099 for a new Scag Patriot 52". Or, I could get a used 2017 z920m 60" with roughly 100 hours on it for between $6000 to $6500. The z920m will still have 2 years of warranty left vs 3 years for the Patriot.

I'll be mowing around 4-5 acres of personal property, I'm not a commercial user. My goal is to get the best zero I can for the money that'll last a long time. Local dealers for both brands are great regarding service, so I'm not worried about that aspect. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd certainly take a good hard look at the used 920. They're really nice machines and I think it would be a better fit for a property that size. Is it a private owner or a dealer trade? Is the maintenance history available?

One thing to consider is that JD says that warranties are transferable, provided an authorized JD dealer is notified of the ownership change, and JD approves the transfer. But then they also say used equipment is not warrantied. I would try to nail down for sure whether the mower would be covered by the remaining warranty before doing anything else.

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/c...otection-plans/DC1360_1 Oct 17 US FINAL B.pdf

iom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. This is a dealer trade. When I asked about service history I was told the previous owner performs all routine maintenance themselves. So, I just have to take their word that it was done properly and when needed.

I will check with them on the warranty transfer. Thanks for that information. I did not realize that it had to be transferred by an authorized dealer and approved by JD.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just did a search for the Z920M on another site that I've been a member of for 15+ years and the reviews/feedback on the machine are pretty stellar. The only complaint seems to be that they're a bit of a rough ride with the front run-flat tires and a so-so seat. It sounds like a suspension seat would be a nice upgrade but I doubt that's an option on a used machine without having to pay full price for it. I bought my Bob-Cat new and paid an extra $250 to upgrade to the suspension seat.